sight adjustments on cap and ball revolvers?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone here made sight adjustments to their cap and ball revolvers that have the rear sight on the hammer? If so did you adjust the front sight or rear notch? I haven’t worked up a load for accuracy in my Walker yet, but I can tell it shoots a bit to the right. I don’t mind it shooting high, but high and right is a little harder to compensate for. Either way it is still one of my favorites to shoot!

Has anyone here made sight adjustments to their cap and ball revolvers that have the rear sight on the hammer? If so did you adjust the front sight or rear notch? I haven’t worked up a load for accuracy in my Walker yet, but I can tell it shoots a bit to the right. I don’t mind it shooting high, but high and right is a little harder to compensate for. Either way it is still one of my favorites to shoot!
I have an 1860 Army notch rear in hammer. Mine was shooting 4.5" high at 25 n just a touch over 2" to the right. I lightly filed the notch deeper. Have not had a chance to shoot it. I did not dare to use the few caps i have left.

To sight my NMLRA national match winning Colt Pietta 1861 I found filing the rear notch to adjust for windage works fine.I replaced the pressure fit front sight wit a taller one I made...

Back