SIMM's Pre-fit recoil pad - truth or fiction

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORVAIR

Reaction score
Here's my 2-cents on the SIMM's pre-fit for the Savage 10MLII:

After RW 's original review of his satisfaction with the fit and function of the SIMM's pre-fit, I immediately ordered one from Midway USA.

Upon removal of the original Savage rubber pad, I noticed that my pad mounting screws had been glued or epoxied into place. I suspect that there was some drilling error when the pad was originally located and the glue was added to compensate for the enlarged holes. As I found out later this posed a problem in mounting the SIMM's pad.

When I was test fitting the SIMM's pad I was very disappointed in the fit to my HB stock. The toe of the stock was exposed by at least 1/8-1/4' if the pad was placed into correct alignment at the top of the stock. The sides also missed alignment and the overall elliptical shape of the stock, although close to the pad shape, was not good enough to please me.
I did however, attempt to mount the pad before final fitting. This is where the problem with the previously mentioned enlarged mounting holes comes in. The supplied screws from SIMM'S were used and were longer,but not long enough to compensate the enlarged holes drilled at the factory.

Due to the ill-fitting pre-fit, I opted to reshape the entire butt end of my stock to make the SIMM's pad fit precisely. Using wood rasp files of various courseness I maticulously shaped the stock to the approximate dimensions of the SIMM's. To get rid of the unsitely toe-gap, I had to file the stock to the point where the removed sling stud recess completely disappeared.After final shaping with fine files and varying degrees of sandpaper, I had the stock to the correct pad dimensions.

Rather than wood dowell plugging the original holes and epoxing in place to provide new drilled holes for screw mounting, I opted to drill dimples into the pad mounting base and stock base, rough the surfaces and mount the pad w/epoxy.

Pad is now mounted and the first spray urethane finnish has been applied.
After two more coats of urethane, I am good to go. Then I guess the benefits of the SIMM's will be experienced at the range.

I guess this all boils down to what each person expects from the pre-fit. If you are satisfied as-is, that's good. If you are particular about the fit and want more precision and a better apearance, then you may have to do some stock work.Since I plan on a thumbhole stock one of these days, epoxying the pad was not a problem for me.

I know of at least 15 10ML-II SS / Laminated Savage shooters that have screwed on a Sims-- and have been instantly delighted.

BUT, the Sims pads fit their templates-- free for the download.

The better order of things is to check template vs. your stock, before ordering a prefit. Then, you just won't have any surprises. :shock:

Latest posts

Back