Smokeless in Virginia?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Is confusing, to say the least, and seems stalled.

The Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries is going through several public meetings, it seems-- but other than that, it is hard to tell who is doing what. :?

Anyway, Julia Dixon is a very pleasant person, and their primary "media relations contact." Those who wish to express their sentiments can fax a note to her at 804-367-4391.

Their meeting schedule is at: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulation ... edule.html .

Well,

Smokeless is fine in West Virginia-- and there is no law prohibiting it on the books in Virginia. 60 gr. min. charge, that's it.
:roll:

RandyWakeman said:
Isn't that well beyond many max loads for most powders in the Savage?

No. "Sixty grains of blackpowder or equivalent.

Ahhh, the blackpowder or equivalent was missing. I thought you were stating 60 grains of smokeless!

Legal Methods and Restrictions During
Muzzleloading Deer Seasons:
? Muzzleloading License required.
? Muzzleloading firearms only (see Local Firearms Ordinances,
pg. 17).
? Muzzleloading guns must be single shot flintlock or percussion
ignition, excluding muzzleloading pistols.
? Must be .45 caliber or larger.
? Scopes permitted.
? Must be able to fire only a single bullet or saboted bullet (.38
caliber or larger projectile).
? Must be loaded from the muzzle of the gun.
? Must use at least 50 grains of black powder or black powder
equivalent.
? For the purposes of transportation in a vehicle, muzzleloading
firearms are considered ?unloaded? when all powder has
been removed from the flashpan, or the percussion cap has
been removed from the nipple. For complete safety, a muzzleloader
should be emptied by shooting into soft ground.
? Unlawful to have in immediate possession any firearm other
than a muzzleloading gun while hunting with a muzzleloader
(see exception for concealed handguns on page 15).
? Unlawful to hunt deer with dogs.
? Unlawful to use muzzleloading pistols.

The above is the complete text as written.

Actually, let me correct myself: 50 grains of black powder or bp equivalent.

Volumetric vs. by weight unspecified. :roll:

I know this is an older post, but I went to the first meeting of this year to try to get the department to "legalize" smokeless powder during the muzzleloading season. Although your copy of the regs is verbatim, the game wardens all have told me that smokeless is a no go. I doubt you would ever have a problem in the field, but it would be nice to have it in black and white so that there is no need for "interpretation". I plan on hitting the local meetings to add my input once again. Course, that means I will have to get out and actually shoot this HBLE I've had sitting here for several months gathering dust. Nice looking rifle. I've just got to get out and shoot the thing. I even got one of them Kahles Multi-zero's to top her off. I guess a trip to the range wil lbe in order soon.

Super 91 said:
I know this is an older post, but I went to the first meeting of this year to try to get the department to "legalize" smokeless powder during the muzzleloading season. Although your copy of the regs is verbatim, the game wardens all have told me that smokeless is a no go. I doubt you would ever have a problem in the field, but it would be nice to have it in black and white so that there is no need for "interpretation". I plan on hitting the local meetings to add my input once again. Course, that means I will have to get out and actually shoot this HBLE I've had sitting here for several months gathering dust. Nice looking rifle. I've just got to get out and shoot the thing. I even got one of them Kahles Multi-zero's to top her off. I guess a trip to the range wil lbe in order soon.

Hi Bob,

I almost missed your posting. Has anyone in Virginia history ever been written up for using smokeless in a muzzleloader?

I've written to [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] and though promised clarification, there has been no response. I can't see where it is even on this list of items up for debate. :?

What was asked and said was:

Hello Folks,

I'm sure everyone is up to their ears in alligators, but I've not hear a peep or a squeak at to the current Virginia ML regulations. Bruce Clevenger and I spoke by phone, and he seems a tiny bit frustrated at the lack of response. Julia and I spoke last week, and she promised a response in short order-- but that has not been forthcoming.

I do my best to attempt to stay informed as to current muzzleloading regulations as a gunwriter focusing on the promotion of muzzleloading in general, but I'm deficient in knowing what is going on in all states all the time.

As best I can determine, the Comm. of VA regulations as written say "50 grains of BP or equivalent" as a "minimum" charge. I have no way of knowing whether by actual weight or by volumetric measure is the standard.

Invariably, a minimum charge requirement is there to ensure ethical harvesting of game-- as there is no maximum. Right now, one gun company (Ultimate Firearms) promotes their black-powder gun as using 250 grains of Pyrodex pellets and 2900 fps velocities. Is this gun legal in VA?

West Virginia's "New Ultra Light Arms" and Savage Arms allow no such velocities-- their firearms, built to a higher standard than most, are only allowed to be used with traditional inline velocities.

Today's newer, high energy propellants (Triple 7, Aarco Black Mag3, American Pioneer,) all have no correlation to organic blackpowder in brisiance, burn rate, chemistry, and in the case of the pellets-- naturally, they are solid fuel components-- not "powder" at all. Are these now considered BP equivalents?

What I am hearing is that considerate New Ultra Light Arms and Savage 10ML-II Virginia hunters to not want to use corrosive, toxic propellants that reduce visibility resulting in lost game-- but rather the older, more proven black powder equivalents such as Accurate Arms 5744 that were designed as blackpowder substitutes decades ago, and have been long used as just that in Cowboy Action Shooting and in dedicated "load from there muzzle only" arms such as the Savage 10ML for over the last six years.

All they want to do is follow your written regulations, but seek official clarification as to what those regulations really are.

Best regards,

Randy

Latest posts

Back