Smoothbore SG Projectiles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HK_Smokestick

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Being new to smokers I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of the finer details.

I was leaning towards rifled foster slugs for a smoothbore 12ga pistol (AGC Diablo) but they seem somewhat difficult to find new and I'm not ready to start casting my own quite yet. Most I've found seem to be recovered from manufactured loads and state they may be inconsistent. I'll probably grab some anyway, just to have, but I assume I'll want a sizing die to go along with them.

That said the idea of using a slug like the AQ, Thug Slug, or other dangerous game slug seems appealing to me. I like the thought of a bore-sized projectile as opposed to a sabot with a smaller caliber bullet. Has anyone used slugs like these in a smoothbore short barrel shotty? Can they be loaded without resizing or without great difficulty?

Is there really a compelling reason to use sabots in a smoothbore which would make me want to abandon the idea of full-bore projectiles altogether?

Back