So how did the S'conie and Michigan guys fare with this winter storm of late?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Our snowfall predictions were all over the planet, from 3" to 14",and we ended up with about 6". The wind sucked while blowing this morning but I gotter done. 2 1/2 hours, but its done. In addition to our walk, I do our share drive and three other walks drives right close to us. Got my expercise. Now Ma is getting ready for us to hit the mall and get her walk in.

Our weather people were really building this little storm up for the immediate area and it just gripes me when they say "wait a couple hours and the really heavy snow will be on us for the afternoon, evening and into tonight. Ma cancelled a doctor's appointment for yesterday based on the bullshit predictions, when we could have very well kept it. We never saw heavy snow at all. And being in town we didn't have to deal with the wind issues. For 36 hours all we heard when we had the tv on was snow up your gazoo. I swear all the hoopla was to get more air time which equates to more commercials time.

Not to worry, though. Our weather people can predict temperatures in 2100 to 0.1 degrees.... with such GREAT certainty that they are willing to bankrupt, starve, and freeze all of us by replacing perfectly good coal, nuclear, and gas power plants with windmills and solar farms (just look at the photos of them to see how environmentally friendly wind and solar farms are), by replacing all cars, trucks, and tractors with EVs, and by forbidding all use of natural gas and petroleum products for appliances, heating, fertilizers, and so forth.

Just saw an article out of Sweden... nearly all of their wind turbines have frozen up and completely quit working during the current cold snap. And.... it's just come to light that wind turbines in Scotland are being heated by DIESEL GENERATORS to keep them from freezing up in the cold.

But.... I'm sure you've heard all about what seems to be a world-wide cold snap, and all about how wind and solar farms are doing in the cold weather, on the mainstream media....

Yep, they over stated it. Not uncommon. I think it helps ratings if they cry wolf to get everyone to watch. I think maybe 4" here. Maybe 3 is closer.
The wind is kicking up pretty good. so lots of drifting. I just went out to retrieve my trail cam, get some fuel line goodies for the cars, diesel fuel, and fill the car. Its fine as long as your not trying to go too fast.

Well you boys down below have it pretty good as far as the snow. Up here, we got between 22-24 inches and that's on top of what we had. I spent 3hrs in the Ranger last night trying to keep up with it. Pushed 12-14" and only the major part of the driveway last night and gave it up. Got the Ranger stuck twice, which is not fun getting them out. A shovel doesn't really fit my hand very well, but its a necessity to get that Ranger out.
Fortunately we didn't lose power, but many are without. Basically got our ask kicked.

Clear as water here this morning but the wind from yesterday, and still huffing and puffing along at 25 sustained, is blowing the light stuff around. I'm getting ready to push what's recoated everything off in the invigorating -11 degrees. Of all things to see this morning was a notification from the air quality site I use is a high pollen notification. I'd sure as heck like to know what's blooming right now to get a high pollen count.

Yeah 8 degrees with -11 windchill. Too windy to shoot the cz. My youngest lost power yesterday so stayed with us for the day. The grandchildren added energy to the house all day. They got juice back late afternoon and went home. I have a niece who celebrated her 50th birthday and had a party. We went and it was a mistake. Roads were bad, icy and drifting. We returned home shortly after a meal and got home safely. That was poor decision making on my part. Just stay home.

The sun dogs are brighter than the sun this morning.

I’m on the outskirts of Battle Creek. I believe we got around 10” total from Friday to now..still wasn’t nearly what was predicted..just got done plowing. I think now I will dig out my spud and a few ice rods and prepare for tomorrow. Sitting at 2 degrees now according to my phones weather app

I’m on the outskirts of Battle Creek. I believe we got around 10” total from Friday to now..still wasn’t nearly what was predicted..just got done plowing. I think now I will dig out my spud and a few ice rods and prepare for tomorrow. Sitting at 2 degrees now according to my phones weather app
How much ice do you around there?

North Muskegon we’ve got about 13” so far but lake effect is kicking in now and that is usually worth 3-5” a pop. Temp has dropped to 14°. but winds are out of the West swinging Northerly at 18-20 kts it’s gusting to 30.
Rick

Cold, yup. However we got an additional 5" of snow last night and thankfully a dry snow for a change.
It'll be awhile before ol'Hubbard freezes over enough to safely use machines, then the pressure ridges will start forming.
Its a good thing that all this snow came before the lake locked up.

This weather has most of the Great Lakes fleets at anchor in protected water. Gale warnings on Lake Erie last night with waves to 20'. The Soo Locks were supposed to closed at 11:59 PM on the 15th. It looks like that may get pushed back until all the boats get were they are to be laid up for winter. Not a good time of year to be on the big lakes.

Back