So how did the S'conie and Michigan guys fare with this winter storm of late?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep you have to run as long as you can and with so much open water so late not many fleets can afford not to. But this system has been common knowledge for long enough that only boneheads or the unlucky should get caught out. I’m sure some ships will have to lay up for Winter wherever they can. It’s been a good year for mariners.

Rick

Looks like the cold snap in west-central Montana may be breaking up! As I write this, it's minus 10 at our house, and climbing. This is the first time it's been warmer than minus 20 in four days - and two of those days it never got warmer than minus 30.

Last year and this year we've had wild turkeys around our house all winter - 10 last year, 8 this year. I was wondering if they could survive minus 30 to minus 40 temperatures, but this afternoon all 8 are up and about, scratching around for something to eat. We help them out with a few cups of cracked corn each day. They spent nearly all of the worst days roosted in some trees about 30 yards from the house, and didn't even come down to eat.

The deer that hang out around the house are up and about too, pawing down through the snow to get at the grass in our yard.

Our weather forecasts have been all over the map too - mostly wrong. They were consistently 10 to 20 degrees too warm for the last few weeks and through the cold snap. Now they're about 5 degrees too cold, and the cold snap seems to be breaking a day earlier than predicted. They were pretty good at calling the snow.... after it was already falling.

Your a thinking man muzzy. Ill throw in my cables, shovel, and strap. I may not need it but someone else might.

No throwing in here... always.. and I mean always, 24-7 365 keep tow straps, jumpers and tools in the truck. And like you said, If I don't need it, more often somebody else does.

Also typically have at least a quart of oil, work gloves, insulated gloves, hat, drinking water, zip ties, duct tape, tylenol, and rain gear behind the truck seat too. You never know when you will need it.

On a direct more personal note, Not too far from you (Fostoria) I figure we got 8inches, and its drifting badly. So some spots are bare and others are waist deep. No point in digging out, it just drifts right back in. hopefully tomorrow will make more sense to dig out. Have to fill the wood boiler every 6-8 hours or it burns out. Going through firewood fast.

It's cold. It's windy. It's the Thumb!

No throwing in here... always.. and I mean always, 24-7 365 keep tow straps, jumpers and tools in the truck. And like you said, If I don't need it, more often somebody else does.

Also typically have at least a quart of oil, work gloves, insulated gloves, hat, drinking water, zip ties, duct tape, tylenol, and rain gear behind the truck seat too. You never know when you will need it.
Ditto

Shipping this late on the big lakes can be a crap shoot. With heavy winds out of the West whatever traffic is running on Lake Michigan is hugging the Lee shore.

Attachments

• IMG_1572.png
    IMG_1572.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 0

And in my truck you’ll always find a HiLift jack, two sets of chains, a full sized shovel, traction boards, 7 gal extra fuel, an axe and saw and a second spare. And in case all else fails, a Garmin InReach.

Shipping this late on the big lakes can be a crap shoot. With heavy winds out of the West whatever traffic is running on Lake Michigan is hugging the Lee shore.
Looks like the M/V Philip R. Clarke will be the last to lock through the Soo downbound headed for Conneaut, OH. The old 71 year old workhorse will get a well-deserved 2+ month rest. Routine maintenance and back to work in late March.

You’re obviously a lake mariner or closely associated Fishhawk. I looked at the Clarke’s position and she too is hugging the Lee shore of the Keneewaw (sp) peninsula. As a old retired saltwater mariner it’s hard to believe these big bulk carriers can still run at their age, built in 1952 @72
years. Freshwater is kind to these old ladies isn’t it.
Rick

You’re obviously a lake mariner or closely associated Fishhawk. I looked at the Clarke’s position and she too is hugging the Lee shore of the Keneewaw (sp) peninsula. As a old retired saltwater mariner it’s hard to believe these big bulk carriers can still run at their age, built in 1952 @72
years. Freshwater is kind to these old ladies isn’t it.
Rick
Merchant Mariner with a 100 ton masters ticket for the Great Lakes and Western Rivers/ Retired charter captain. Spent almost 45 years fishing/working on the GL. I have a soft spot for the old lakers like the Clarke. Sadly I've seen many of the classic GL long boats go to the scrapper. The new boats are ugly boxes.

Fishhawk I too had a 100 ton ticket back in the late 60’s early 70’s. But all my time for a Masters License was restricted from Florida to the Bahamas to Turks under a MSTS contract supplying telemetry tracking stations from the cape on the Eastern range. Nothing like these lakes where these ore haulers run the same route back and forth. But then we didn’t have ice and locks to contend with and sea states where the waves have a crazy close nasty fetch. Yep the big lakes are a different world
Rick

Latest posts

Back