Spinning Ramrod Tip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeeter

Ontariario
Reaction score
With all of the talk of the importance of witness marks on your ramrod, I thought I would share a modification I came up with to improve the performance of our ramrods.
I made this with some things I had laying around , it is a once piece I'll call it a range rod since this one doesn't break down and won't fit into a muzzleloader thimble with the palm saver I attached.
I made it from a basic coaxiale cable connector and a carbon and aluminum arrow shaft. I also made a bore guide out of a 303 brass casing that I drilled out to fit the shaft.
I first measured the two shafts to be the required length I desired and then forced the carbon shaft ( gold tip 5575 ) over the stub in the cable connector until it bottomed out and fit squarely, I then applied epoxy glue inside the connector and on several spots on the carbon shaft. The aluminum shaft ( 2214 ) or whatever you have that fits over the carbon and inside the connector, is then slid over the carbon shaft and allowed to set up. The bore guide is then slid over the aluminum shaft and the palm saver is then glued over the cut end of the two arrow shafts , the two shafts make the ramrod quite rigid and strong and less susceptible to bending.
This allows the bullet to freely follow the barrels rifling and spins freely when applying pressure while seating the bullet.
The cable connect will fit a .50 cal. bore without any adjustment , but for a .45 cal. I had to remove the high points on the hex end of the fitting of the connector.
I didn't want to call it a Spin-JXX for obvious reasons, so I refer to it as a Spinning Ramrod Tip which is pretty generic, you call call it what you will.
here are some pics of the process.

zhFVoZW.jpg

ERZdgkv.jpg

LLXO2Ee.jpg

PsPsPsW.jpg

LLXO2Ee.jpg

Nice work! I did that a while back for my old BuckHunter, I didn't like the flimsy factory fiberglass rod. I used the factory end pieces but like your cable connect spinner idea. I need to try that out :cool:

Lz4fyPs.jpg

Someone use to make and sell one. I cannot remember the name of it nor if it is still made. Do not think it never really caught on.

on the amazon link shared above it says "This SpinJag will ONLY load" . but they make another model to clean and load . but it only mentions cleaning with a patch . can a bore brush be used with them for thoroughly cleaning a barrel and/or getting a crud ring out?

https://www.amazon.com/Gunn-Innovat...dfc6e&pd_rd_wg=skmvc&pd_rd_i=B07K397QGW&psc=1

No, a brush can’t be easily used “with” a SpinJag. You can’t screw another jag or brush onto a SpinJag with the existing tip in place. But you can take it off your ramrod and screw on a brush. The difference in the load vs the “original” is knurling and a slightly different OD (to allow for a patch).

Ive never done it but I believe you can remove the tip of a SpinJag and replace it with another tip or jag/brush.

D9D1B853-50B1-4385-9293-5E8EFE95FD87.jpeg

Last edited:
on the amazon link shared above it says "This SpinJag will ONLY load" . but they make another model to clean and load . but it only mentions cleaning with a patch . can a bore brush be used with them for thoroughly cleaning a barrel and/or getting a crud ring out ?

https://www.amazon.com/Gunn-Innovat...dfc6e&pd_rd_wg=skmvc&pd_rd_i=B07K397QGW&psc=1
Heres the link to Spinjag's website. You'll save yourself a few bucks there from the Amazon price I think. I recently ordered one of these in .50 & another one in .45.
https://www.spinjag.com/index.php

looks like the one i linked to above
1652634583534.png
my range rod actually did ok with the nylon bore brush , i just needed to give it a twist or so every several strokes when cleaning my barrel .
but i like new toys :)

Back