Spitpatch can spit but can't patch

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
Bought another Disc Elite 50 cal. (my second one)...just love 'em. :D

Hit the range and found the barrel seems tighter than my other Elite. It even loads harder. It seems to group well, under an inch after the scope adjustments settled in.

The problem is I can't run a spitpatch down the barrel!!! :shock: Oh, it goes down ok but will not come back up. It just locks up when I try to pull it back up the barrel. Eventually it pulls away from the jag and I have to retrieve it with a patch puller and start all over. You know, I use a pumping action all the way to the bottom. The only way to patch between shots is to use Break Free and follow with a dry patch. :( Sometimes that does'nt even work. I've even tried several jags...no luck. I inspected the barrel and found nothing really obvious. No real nasty tooling marks etc. just a bright shiny barrel. I removed the breech plug and tried to spit or wet patch with windex from each end. It pushes easier from the muzzel than from the breech. Maybe this is typical but my other Elite is not this way. It pushes the same from either direction.
Could it be that because the barrel MIGHT be a little tighter, my 100% cotton 2-1/4" finished on both sides patches are too thick?

I hate to send it back to Knight.....Bad barrel?....tooling?....bore paste?

Can some one stear me in the right direction here?

If the same patches work in your other Knight then you definitely have a difference in the two bores that really shouldn't be there.

I think I would try a few passes with bore paste and if that doesn't help any - then let Knight fix it.................their cust service is top notch.

Spitpatch said:

Hit the range and found the barrel seems tighter than my other Elite.

Is your new one too tight, or your old one too loose? :shock:

I'd shoot 15 or so Powerbelts though the new one, and that should be that.

RandyWakeman said:
Spitpatch said:

Hit the range and found the barrel seems tighter than my other Elite.

Is your new one too tight, or your old one too loose? :shock:

I'd shoot 15 or so Powerbelts though the new one, and that should be that.

Randy... power belts?...how will that help?
BTW...my patches measure .017"
The old one was checked out by Knight Service Dept.

By smoothing out tiny radial scratches or sharp edges as only a bore-sized projectile can do. That's just standard procedure for me with a new barrel.

The old "cotton ball" test will show if any sharp, grabby edges are present.

I wouldn't let go of a barrel that is already grouping 1" :!: That would seem to pass Knight's "2-1/2 in. accuracy guarantee."

RandyWakeman said:
By smoothing out tiny radial scratches or sharp edges as only a bore-sized projectile can do. That's just standard procedure for me with a new barrel.

I would let go of a barrel that is already grouping 1" :!: That would seem to pass Knight's "2-1/2" accuracy guarantee."

Ahhh!....the old cotton ball test. Why didn't I think of that...I'll check...

RandyWakeman said:

It just passed the "Old cotton ball test"....... 8) But i am worried that I can't spit patch. :( I'll try the powerbelts...and maybe thinner patches?
Thanks Randy

BTW this barrel number is 149 and the other gun is 146. Look at the difference 3 barrels down the production line can make. :shock:

Try a .45 cal jag and double up on the patches if needed.

Like Randy said... It is a good shooter. I wouldnt mess with it.

Hey Spit,
Yeah, that's a problem with Triple Se7en in several guns I've shot. There ARE a few things to try:
1. Not all jags are created equal. Some are nurled and some have ridges. The ones with ridges are the worst in this situation. ALSO.... .50cal jags come in different sizes so you may need to mic some.
2. Not all patches are created equal. There are a LOT of patches that are for ".50 caliber." Some are HUGE! The Cabelas .44-58 cal patches #10442 are THE ones to use. They are 2 inch patches and are the best in this situation.
3. Swab progressively. When using a spitpatch after shooting, don't go all the way down to the breechplug. Go until you initially feel the crud then start using short strokes and progressively go all the way down to the breechplug.
4. Use more spit! It's summer and it's hot and so is your barrel. Much of the saliva evaporates before it gets where it is needed. A little more spit is necessary!

Excellent post Chuck. :? :shock: 8)

If have a range rod with a rotating handle use it-- , but even if you don't-- allow the rod to turn with the rifling. That will have less tendency to pull on the patch and strip it off-- than just pulling it straight out allowing no rotation.

SPitpatch - I have the same problem with the Encore and knurled jags, but the ribbed jags work just fine. Knurled jags stick so badly that I have to disassemble the gun to get the jag out. Not fun. I have no earthly idea why it happens.

Just came in from the range.... wish I could show pictures...

The problem was solved by trying a few combinations of jags and patches. I can't understand why but the Knight supplied jag, and the "Rat", would not work in this gun. Even with a clean dry barrel and a sloberin' wet patch. It must be because the barrel is sooooo tight.

I went to the local sporting goods store and tried different combinations and found that the only jag that would work was of the short knurled type. I purchased a T/C Extended Super Jag and WALAHHHH! Life is good once again. :D
Go figure.....it has a very short knurled head on it.

Well, off to the range. I fired all 15 Powerbelt 295's (couldn't find any 348's) and they all went into a 2" circle. I am not interested in powerbelts. This I did on Randy's recommendation to clean up the new barrel. Thanks RW...

Chuck, you told my old elite would love 200 SST's w/ Blue sabots and it did. But this gun seems to like them even better! Both 200 SST and 200 XTP's shot under an inch. 3/4 and 7/8 respectivley. 250 XTP's are 1-1/2" and should shoot better than an inch, but in my exitement I made a little mistake that opened up that group. This was all done as fast as I could load. Hot barrel and all! I thought "what the heck". I was having sooo much fun.

I feel I'm now ready for the big BP shoot we have every 4th at the farm. 5 brothers and about 10 guns..... :shock: 100, 150, 200, and 250 yards of FUN.:D

It shoots great and I can now spit and patch at the same time.

My thanks to all who shared and helped to solve this problem.

Twang,
It feels like I'm loading an Encore. Tight! :D

Tight is good for accuracy as long as you don't mess up the boolet getting it home.
Course, the way you're shootin', you probably know that.

I went to the local sporting goods store and tried different combinations and found that the only jag that would work was of the short knurled type. I purchased a T/C Extended Super Jag and WALAHHHH!

That's exactly what I thought and that's the jag I prefer! :D

Chuck, you told my old elite would love 200 SST's w/ Blue sabots and it did. But this gun seems to like them even better!

That's GREAT! That's usually the case with those guns! Just out of curosity, what powder charge are you using?

There's hardly anything better than a great day at the range!

big6x6 said:
I went to the local sporting goods store and tried different combinations and found that the only jag that would work was of the short knurled type. I purchased a T/C Extended Super Jag and WALAHHHH!

That's exactly what I thought and that's the jag I prefer! :D

Just out of curosity, what powder charge are you using?

There's hardly anything better than a great day at the range!

Just 100 gr. 777 ffg. loose volumetric....haven't used weighed charges yet. That will be on the 4th of July.
Thanks again...

Back