Sporterized Hawken Hunter Carbine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesee

Reaction score
A friend of mine gave this to me awhile back. It has a 1-24 twist barrel 21 inches. I want to make a short range hard hitting brush gun. I have been looking at a 400 grn solid base bullet and a 410 grn hollow base minnie bullet made by Black Jack Hill. Does anybody have any experiance with these bullets or this rifle. Thanks in advance for any info.

That's a nice Cabelas gun. My neighbor has the non-carbine 1 in 48" twist .54 cal and it is a pretty good shooter.

Do you have the .50 or the .54?

tooldog

Sorry about that,its a 54 cal. I have a 54 cal Renegade that I shoot PRBs out of,I just need some ideas for this fast twist barrel.

I don't know anyone who has shot the fast twist carbine. There is a commentary on Chuck Hawks' site that has this quote:

"The short barreled Cabela's Hawken Hunter did very well with 85 grains of FFg and the 425-grain Buffalo and the 425-grain Hornady Great Plains."

There were a couple of other comments so you can read the whole article HERE.

Hope that helps.

tooldog

The minnies might not be the best choice. I have tried them in a lot of different rifles with little luck at LONG RANGE. I would try some of the buffalo bullet ball-ets, as heavy as you can find. Also you might want to try some of the maxiball in .54 caliber. REALs might do well with 80 grains of powder.

When you get a fast twist, like the 1/24 then you want to look for a long bullet. The longer the better it seems. I would also look at the 495 grain NO Excuse Conicals. They might shoot real well for you with about 70 grains of Triple Se7en. With all that weight to the bullet it would still have a lot of down range energy.

Back