Squib loads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chas

Reaction score
What is a "squib load"? and what is its purpose?
Charlie

chas, as Randy replied. Some fire one to ensure that first shot out of barrel is on target. I do not fire a squib but for me...I take a wet rubbin alcohol patch or 2 then several dry to completely clean ALL oil from barrel before carrying gun on hunt. With my 10 ML & White Super 91 my first shot is on if I do this.

In both guns i fire a 209 or #11 cap(GUN UNLOADED) to ensure breech plug is clear of all oil etc. I also as a back-up shine a lite in breech & make sure i can see though. Just some things I do. You will get many individual pointers here. Thats whut make this MLin so darn much fun! :lol:

A squib load also has another common defintion in books and magazines that you may read. Some refer to a squib load as one that did not have sufficient energy to clear the barrel. This of course is a dangerous condition if you attempt to reload and fire again. In a modern gun if you detect abnormal recoil or muzzleblast always check the bore before firing again. In a mz same thing, and another good reason for using a witness mark on your ramrod.

You may want to note... Squib loads do not work well with pellets.

They are nice for July 4th tho..
:roll:

Latest posts

Back