Stock carvings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocGP

Reaction score
20160217.jpg

20160218.jpg

20151018.jpg

20151019.jpg

20151017.jpg

20151020.jpg

20160112.jpg

20160110.jpg

20160113.jpg

20160111.jpg

20150911.jpg

20150910.jpg
Try again.

The stock with the ram is in the works in these pics. I also put cap and tips on stocks, usually black walnut or manzanita depending on the wood on the stock. The first stock is a ruger 10/22 birch wood with black walnut tip and cap and the butt of the stock was beyond fixing so I put a muzzleloader brass but pad. The stock with the ram is sold. The others are not. Tell me what you think, cause I just started doing this in October of last year. Long Shot

:ttups: :ttups: :ttups: 
That's some great looking work. Does it take a long time to complete and are you going to hang out shingle?

Ray............. :Red tup:

It takes awhile depending on the detail. The ram stock took about a weeks worth of time. I need to get some pics of it all together, it looks a lot different completed. I'm working on a Winchester mdl 70 right now and my Hawken. Thanks for the comment hawgslayer and a nice rifle in your avatar. Long Shot

FrontierGander said:
patocazador said:
I don't see any pics.
you gonna start that again? :lol:
I didn't start it last time but I don't see any. Do they take a real long time to load? I've been waiting for 4+ minutes.

OK, I see a momentary flash of the pic(s?) but it doesn't stay up long enough for me to tell what it is.

I learned most of it by doing it. I have wood carvings of animals and fish all over the world. I have worked at 3 different bronze foundries here where I live which gave me metal tooling skills and patina skills. I have made knives, and have tried all kinds of things out of necessity. If I can't afford something I try to make it. I enjoy doing things just to do it! I use wood tools, power carvers, files, and other tools to accomplish what I'm after. Long Shot

I can see them today. Lots of talent there. I like the contrasting wood.

Do you engrave receivers too or do you work exclusively with wood?

patocazador, I just work with wood, engraving metal is a whole new ball game. But I have thought about it. Long Shot

Long Shot,

You commented on my rifle. Well buddy, that rifle is a rebuild by Jonathan. He stripped the stock and put 4 or 5 coats of walnut if I remember correctly and oiled the hell out of it. He worked on the lock and put a new barrel. He put a ramp sight and believe me, she's a shooter. I hope to have today's range report up soon. 
If you go to the HUNTING LODGE SECTION and go to the hunting videos you'll find my hunting video where I take a 200+ hog with it. Check it out. Jonathan does great work and I am highly satisfied with that big bore.

Ray............ :thumbs up:

Long Shot...you just don't see that kind of artistry in hand-carved stocks any more.  Truly a lost art.  I see heirlooms...Great work! 
------------------------------------------
p.s. We have some amazingly talented craftsmen here on the forum.   Don't be shy in posting more of your work:)

Thanks Marty! This stuff keeps me off the streets,LOL! Between stock carving, making jigs for salmon and steelhead, paintings, honey does, I just got lite headed just thinking about it! Long Shot

Long Shot, with salmon season starting for me in less than 3 weeks you got my attention when you mentioned custom salmon jigs.
Do you tie just tie for yourself, or do you mass produce?  I'm always interested in salmon trolling jigs that have been put to the test.

Marty, I tie for myself and make them for a local sporting goods store. More of a hobby than anything. Long Shot

Long Shot said:
Marty, I tie for myself and make them for a local sporting goods store. More of a hobby than anything. Long Shot
I'd be interested in seeing some of your jigs Long Shot.  If you have the time we have our Fishing Forum.  :)

Latest posts

Back