Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been reading on this great site for a while now. It's nice to see such an active interest in muzzle loaders.
I'm a gunsmith, but not in the way most people think. I carve gunstocks and slow rust brown the hardware. I'm pretty old fashioned when it comes to the process. Hell, I'm guess I'm just pretty old!
Some times I make my own browning solution from nails. I built my damp box 35 years ago. The best way to slow rust brown is to do everything together. That's how you get the barrel, lock, sideplate, trigger guard and screws to match in finish.
I wish I had taken more pictures of my work, but that's the last thing on my mind. I'm getting set up to retire in a few years and would like to make this my full time job. It's hard to call it a job if you like it. The pictures I do have are actual pictures. (Does anyone remember film?).
The main thing you must have when slow rust browning or carving is patience. That especially goes for the guy whose waiting for his baby to be returned to him.
I'm a big fan of the Pennsylvania long rifle.
My best rifle was a double barrel .45 flintlock. Black walnut stock. Picked it up at a flea market. The furniture was in the white (non-finished metal). Carved the stock, inlayed some brass pieces and slow rust browned the barrels, locks and trigger guard to a sweet plum brown.
Anyways, I hope to pick up some business here.
Todd

These were carved in 1989-1992. I still have the 2 Remington 870 buttstocks, for no apparent reason.
Moderator- should I have put the pictures in another forum? I don't have any pictures of any slow rust browning.

Latest posts

Back