Striving for Excellence

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
I had a Mechanical Drafting teacher in high school that taught school as an avocation. His primary job was as an architect. He, & his wife, also an architect, built their custom house in the suburbs of Baltimore City completely by themselves, to include operating all of the heavy machinery used in excavation, concrete, plumbing, electrical, and HVAC.

He was the poster child for a type-A personality.

He had his own 3-dimensional drawings with people & landscaping posted on the walls of his classroom showcasing some of the buildings that he had designed.

In addition, he was the winner of the contest in the early 60's for the design of the teardrop-shaped Michelob beer bottle, for which he took a $0.01 royalty per bottle produced, instead of a flat fee.

What I recall most about him was his desire to make us strive for excellence. He was the only teacher in that very elite college preparatory public high school that would allow a student to achieve a higher test score than 100. He did this by awarding an extra 5 points if the drawing that you turned in had perfect arrow points. He had a very specific way that he wanted that arrow point drawn, and every single one on the drawing had to not only match his ideal point, but be exactly the same in size.

Only a handful of his students over the course of two semesters in a calendar year ever got that coveted 105 marked in red ink at the top of their drawing when he handed back the drawings after grading them.

He taught 6-7 classes every day, approximately 30 students per class, 5 days per week, 2 semesters per year. You only attended his class 3 days per week. My guess was he taught approximately 550-600 students per semester.

A good year saw maybe 5-7 of those 105 grades being handed out. They were so rare that the entire student body would know by the next day.

That meant that a student had a less than 1 in 833 hundredth thousand chance of obtaining the 105 grade.

He was not a popular teacher with his fellow teachers. My best guess would be because he did not need the job, he taught as a way to give back. Second reason would be that he was a secular Iranian. Third reason was that awarding extra credit for excellence in achievement flies in the face of how public school administrations think.

Needless to say, even though he was uncompromising, he was a popular teacher.

I was fortunate to receive a 105 on one of my drawings in the 11th grade.

Anybody else here have a similar story?

Edit:
I now realize that by making us focus on a part of the drawing considered insignificant to most people, the arrow point, he was forcing us to pay more attention to the rest of the drawing as well. A sneaky way of making teenagers with short attention spans narrow their focus, and become better at what they were attempting to do.

Without them even realizing what was being done to them.

Last edited:
I had a math teacher that repeatedly hauled me to the office and told the people therein that I needed to be in a more rigorous course. Where I had gone to school previously they only marked records with math, not trig, algebra etc.. The office staff repeatedly told the teacher I did not meet the requirements necessary to be placed in a more rigorous class. He finally gave up and gave me an A if I would not come to class. It drove him nuts seeing me sitting there bored stiff.

Same thing in English. However, that teacher knew that I worked an 8 hour shift after school to support the family. She just let me nap. I was out of school for a year or two when she walked past a job site I was on. She stopped and asked the boss if I still took a nap at noon each day.

I had to have a science course, and I did not meet the requirements for any of the courses offered. So they stuck me in animal science. I went from English to animal science and continued my nap there. The teacher would stand next to me while I took the tests to ascertain whether or not I was cheating. Years later I met him in town. I called him on it, and he said he never thought I was cheating, he just could not understand I could pull A's on the test after sleeping through class. I told him, food in poop out, it's not rocket science.

In metal shop, I told the teacher he was shortening a driveshaft incorrectly. When I tried to show him how to do it correctly, he took a swing at me. I swung back, and was sent to auto shop instead. I probably was less than humble. I had worked in a machine shop, and their specialty was making and modifying driveshafts.

In auto shop, the teacher made me assistant, and often he would leave class after putting me in charge. One time he returned in the middle of my teaching knife throwing. That did not go over well either. We got along well though, and for a couple of years after high school I would go over to his house for dinner or lunch with him and his wife.

The counselor told me I was not smart enough for college. I'm sure I had at least 20 IQ points on him. I coasted through high school and rode the honor role all the way. What a waste of time.

The only worthwhile thing I learned in public school was how to type.

Unlike you guys I muddled thru high school and college with good enough grades to graduate. However I was and still am a person that learn fast and has a ton of common sense. I also have received many blessings from God. I worked for over 37 years in quality control the last 27 for the USN nuclear propulsion program retiring from that position.

Yeah, I was slacking great in 7th grade when they gave a math test to the whole grade. I did the test and was ready to hand it in but no one else was doing so. I figured I missed something so went through it a second time. Still, no one stirring. I figured screw it and handed it in and left. A few days later I got called to the principals office and they told me I had to bring a note home to my parents. Oh crap. No one bothered to tell me why. I assumed the worst for historical reasons.

So my mom and dad come to school and I think Im toast. Im figuring my dad is going to give me a a spanking right in front of all these people in the office. Instead that day they transferred me to the hardest math class in the grade. No slacking after that. At college I had accelerated Calculus. (shows you im not real smart) I have no understanding of it but I did pass the class.

:wall:
:wall::wall::wall::wall:

When I went to school it was like riding the elevator, held up for the slowest student. Alaways accused of not paying attention. I was bored Shixless. Except for one science teacher, that kept me struggling to keep up. I had time to build a lot of things in my mind.

Latest posts

Back