So..... why a muzzleloader?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had wanted a muzzleloader for a good while and finally bought a .45 underhammer in the mid 1960s. I bought a flintlock about a year or two after that. As a kid I hunted small game with a single shot .22 or an old shotgun which even back then was no longer made. I killed a couple of bobcats with that underhammer and killed deer with it later on. I then killed many deer with modern bolt action rifles but still loved black powder shooting.

I like challenges and using the least to get deer. I killed several deer with a .22 Hornet and went back to MLs. For several years I killed my deer with revolvers a few revolvers I had using the stock iron sights. I was a very good shot back then and taught pistol shooting at the local police academy. But with MLs I liked the one-shot challenge with a patched round ball. I ended up hunting with nothing but flintlocks and having way too much fun. I frequently killed a deer - but as my habit - I stayed on stand for at least another hour. Many times I got three deer in that one hour. The history, the 18th century equipment and the satisfaction of taking deer with BP always appealed to me.
This one I took with a musket smoothbore.

Still have that underhammer.
Daggon it Hanshi, you have done it again. That is a fine looking smoothbore,. You n Harleyboss have already had me cave in to the Under-Hammer.

Daggon it Hanshi, you have done it again. That is a fine looking smoothbore,. You n Harleyboss have already had me cave in to the Under-Hammer.

Well, get one and you won't be sorry. No percussion is faster than an underhammer or mule ear lock. You will need to wear a long sleeve shirt or have something over your forward arm in case it spits on your arm. Doesn't happen every time and it doesn't cause injury; it just feels very unpleasant. Sorry to tempt you again but they are great rifles and very accurate. :lewis:

Well, get one and you won't be sorry. No percussion is faster than an underhammer or mule ear lock. You will need to wear a long sleeve shirt or have something over your forward arm in case it spits on your arm. Doesn't happen every time and it doesn't cause injury; it just feels very unpleasant. Sorry to tempt you again but they are great rifles and very accurate. :lewis:
I am waiting on my Under-Hammer's barrel. Plus am saving up for the next ML rock sparker. I want a better one than these Factory model want to be's.

I can tell you that for me I love all firearms. Heck even airarms. I even own a blowgun and throwing knives. Pretty much anything that will chuck something at velocity is in my bailiwick.

I had a nice collection of firearms in the past and I remember looking at something called a cva wolf and thought that’s interesting a mix of old technology and new. Did I mention I love history too? I also appreciate when old meets new such as the deer tracker I believe it’s called. A flint lock rifle with a polymer stock and true glo sights. Cooking is another of my passions and I feel the same about fusion food.

Anyway, I am also cheap so I saw the price and said why not. At first as some of the old school members might remember I was upset about the cva wolf I got. Scrubbed that bore and could not get the lands cleaned. Man I think about how much I’ve changed. Btw that cva shoots sub moa with light loads so let me be the first to say boy was I wrong what I thought was junk turned out to be an impressive rifle.

Now I sit here with over 50 firearms. Though I don’t get out to shoot often enough I feel blessed not only with material items which I never much cared about but with the people and stories I have heard along the way. Everyone is one in 8 billion and that’s not a compliment as much as it is fact.

Getting back to muzzle loaders after I got the bp bug I knew it was an awesome natural progression for me. I don’t get out to shoot often bp even less often. But since I have the Kentucky rifle, the deer hunter, a pistol I built from a kit and now I am bidding on something with a set trigger because I never tried one of those.

When I think about bp and the way it works I am fascinated. Essentially we take wood that is prepared to charcoal and impregnate it with other natural materials. Like fire only better right? Then someone at some point said let’s put this in a tube and launch a projectile or projectiles out the other end using the force of the powder. Firearms entered the world.

Humans have always fascinated me. Our accomplishments our relationship to one an other our mistakes and our history.

So to answer the question why muzzle loaders….because it exists because it’s history because it one of our accomplishments and Is a part of the progression of force protection.

Michigan is readying GC laws that include banning ALL semi-autos -- handguns & rifles. Illinois tried this week as well. Thinking that is future route/plan for GC crowd which should make ML's more valuable(so get em now) and maybe even entice some manufacturers to start making them again...
Please tell me this isn’t true. I am forbidden to get into anything political and will not violate site rules. So I will only say that this makes me very sad.

The start of the end of a free country!! Enough said, please vote your conscience as all is at stake…..
I had/will go to my Maker before they just take my guns because they think they can ! If people will not stand up now. Then do they think this Party will allow you to keep living !

In ct you just about double your gun season if you add muzzleloader. Our state land hunts were shotgun only and then they passed a "lesser weapon" law allowing muzzleloader during the regular shotgun season as well as the ML season. When it comes to choosing between a shotgun with slugs or a muzzleloader I'll take the ML any day!

Last edited:
I wanted to try new things this year, so I got a crossbow and a muzzleloader. I never liked bows because they look like elf weapons. I might have liked to buy a Hawken, but the modern Italian reproductions didn't impress me. What did impress me was a vintage MK-85 with its Timney trigger and a truly American family story. That's perhaps my favorite thing about the MK-85, the man who invented the MK started his company by naming the first gun after his daughter and stamping his son's face on every barrel. It's from a time before the intense corporate greed, globalization, and outsourcing of America that has led to the cultural degradation we see now.

Why not a muzzle loader?

I will say that I am somewhat of a BP purist - if'n Imma gonna go thru the "hassle" of shooting a ML then I am doin it with real black

That said .. I am a shooter. 3 and 4 position rimfire, ipsc/idpa, 3 gun, 2 gun, carbine courses, skeet and trap, hangin out and shooting small groups from a bench, what ever. If involves poppin primers Im down for it, costs permitting.

As a result there are LOTS of guns or gun types on my list of things I would like to own and shoot, and yes MLs are on the list (and mostly checked off
- want a 32 or 36 cal caplock as my "dont sell it" front stuffer)

Currently have a imported by Lyman Uberti 1858 , a CVA 54 in factory camo plastic stock, and a Sears single shot 12ga converted to a 209 fired in-line via a Short Lane adapter (fun stuff, worth it, check one out)

There's got to be a story behind everyone's choice made to shoot and hunt with a muzzleloader. Me? I got tired of all the crap with shotguns and the ammunition. Plus, I seldom needed more than the one shot.

I grew up using a smoothbore shotgun and foster slugs to hunt deer, starting at the age of 14. I shot deer and got pretty good at killing them. I put together a slug gun over time that sported a scope and rifled barrel and that made the hunting that much more humane. What griped me was the constantly changing world of ammunition and with each change the price of using it going straight uphill. I'd shot a handful of deer with a TC Renegade .54 during the regular gun seasons which is where I started developing my attraction to the "one-shot theory" that I'd always adhered to and pushed at my hunting partners, but they were firm in their shotguns.... and making the woods sound like a war zone.

I stumbled across a Winchester bolt .45 muzzy and bought it new at a locally new Cabelas. I scoped it and shot a hundred pounds of bullets and sabots through it getting ready for the next deer season. For the next four seasons this gun and I took as many deer as shots to collect them. BUT, I still played with shotgun game too and ran out to buy the newest and latest and greatest sabot slugs, usually spending $100.00 on them so I could shoot the gun in to them and then use one to kill my deer. Back then I hunted a second season which usually meant hunting on snow or in falling snow. Generally, it was cold, but it was also back when we started to see much warmer weather and hunting in slop was as common as hunting while it was below zero. The shotgun afforded me a reliable first shot while sometimes that front stuffer would balk at the trigger pull and I'd get to see a white flag leaving the area. Over time I was able to find some confidence in what I was shooting in in my muzzy during this late season and somehow just made the switch to using is while my buddies were blazing away and their deer harvest boasted of their lack of accuracy, often sporting two to four hits on a deer. to them it was a deer take. To me I saw waste.

About 25 years ago I got the opportunity to manage a property for an elderly couple. This gave me specific permission to post the property on their behalf and control who was on or using the property. The property was an absolute deer haven, so I decided to hunt it myself, as in by myself. I used my muzzleloader and enjoyed the peace in waiting out deer or the peace of still hunting. After 5 years both of the elderly couple had passed and their kids sold the property. While I managed the place I gave a neighbor permission to come in and harvest downed trees for his firewood as he heated with wood. Not only did he help clean up the forest floor but he help eliminate to a great degree the threat of fires. When the property was lost for me I asked him about hunting on his parcel just up the road. He was more than happy to let me on to hunt and to this day he is one of my best friends. I can count on one hand how many deer I have taken off his land with a shotgun. I have no idea how many I have taken with the muzzies.

Over the years I have added to my muzzy collection, mostly in-lines but also a couple sidelocks. I'd sold that Renegade I hunted with earlier hoping to find a single trigger model. I finally found one only a few years back here on this site. I still haven't shot it and as far as I can tell its never been shot. I sold the Winchester.45 too and hope to someday find another. I have a couple older .45 TC Hawkens that I don't shoot, but they are fun to handle occasionally. There's a lot of memories tied up in those sidelocks and the beginning of the muzzleloader love affair. I seriously shoot at a local club where I'm a long time member and some of the rifle shooters there are simply shocked to see a front stuffer poking holes in holes at 100 yards, so over time my shooting has evolved and gotten much better. So back to the original question.....

Shooting these muzzleloaders either at the range or in the stand has taught me to relax and not be so hurried to shoot. They've taught me several things by the most important is to have confidence in what I am shooting and what I am shooting at. We all go thru little trials with the smoke belching guns, but the trials become teachers and we pay attention. Hunting with muzzleloaders has taught me to appreciate that first shot, and except for twice in all these years, is the only shot that really matters. Hunting with muzzleloaders has allowed me to thoroughly look at the experience, each and every day different from the day before, not so much from the standpoint of the kill but to simply experience what the woods has to offer: the snow falling, the still and quiet, the birds and other animal life, sunrises and sunsets that so many others simply don't see or can't see. I'm getting older and know it... feel it. I don't go to the woods with my muzzies to lament what is coming someday, probably sooner than I'd like, but I go there with my old friend the muzzleloader to be thankful for being there today. I'm a sausage maker and I really do intend to kill deer for that purpose, so I struggle with the idea that I am going there to kill, because the whole experience is so much more than that. Over the many years of hunting with the stink stick I've learned to be more selective in what I take. Horns are nice if what I am aiming at has them but the long nosed, tall eared, does are welcome too. I watch an awful lot of deer come and go while I have that muzzy in my lap. And I don't have to listen to that terrible racket of a shell being racked up.

So, to say that making muzzleloaders my choice over the years is a matter of evolving, the statement would be correct. Being a part of this family here at MM has allowed me to spend time with other who have sauntered down a similar path in their hunting/shooting life. Its given me a chance to watch posting as newcomers go thru the trials and tribulations that making smoke seems to bring with it early on and watch them grow to confidence. My grandkids ask why I don't hunt with a rifle. I tell them I do. The oldest grandson has a muzzleloader but he's still stuck on the cartridge hunting. One day though, he'll get the bug and like all of us here, the evolution will begin in him.

So I can spend more time at the "Shooting Bench" than the "Reloading Bench"! 😁

Walt
I could easily set up my single stage at the bench on the range I am a member of

Tricky part will be wind and weighing powder but I can reload a 223 or 762x39 round just as fast as I can load the front stuffer, maybe faster when using the powder thrower and boat tail bullets

I first got interested in muzzleloading back in the 1970's after I saw the movie Jeremiah Johnson. So when PA opened the first flintlock season, I went out and bought a TC Hawken 50 cal. It was fun, but I couldn't hit the side of the barn with it and lost interest. Years later I bought a TC Encore in 209/50 when they came out. Still have that one and it's a shooter. Ten years ago I bought a Savage ML 10 II and really enjoyed the smokeless aspect for hunting in neighboring states. It's still a great gun to shoot with excellent accuracy.

This year I bought the Traditions Nitrofire with the new firestick technology. I've had ton of fun shooting this one. I've tinkered with it to improve accuracy and have taken it hunting in early ML season for bear. I plan to use the Nitrofire for Deer and Bear season this year during the centerfire rifle season later this week.

I could easily set up my single stage at the bench on the range I am a member of

Tricky part will be wind and weighing powder but I can reload a 223 or 762x39 round just as fast as I can load the front stuffer, maybe faster when using the powder thrower and boat tail bullets
I don't know. It's like the guy who buys a Cap N Ball revolver so he can get off more shots, quickly. I can load and fire my single-shot pistol six times before the revolver person shoots the first load in the cylinder!

Walt

Like most I originally started to lengthen my hunting season. But being a bowhunter I also liked the challenge of getting closer to my game (I started in 1973).
Since then the muzzleloading technology has jumped by leaps and bounds. Now a few my muzzleloaders will out shoot most of my CF rifles at least out to 100 uards. And like Mr Tom I rarely need more than one shot. Twice in 55+ years on dozens of deer and several bear.

Latest posts

Back