Stuck Patches

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
First time at the range I dry patched between each shot with a cotton patch. Twice the patch became stuck at the bottom of bore. :( If not for the tee handle on the ramrod placed in the crack between the boards on the shooting bench I never would have gotten it out without taking the barrel off. is this common or just me. Someone mentioned using synthetic patches? Any ideas, don't want this coming up in the field. Bub.

Bub said:
First time at the range I dry patched between each shot with a cotton patch. Twice the patch became stuck at the bottom of bore. :( If not for the tee handle on the ramrod placed in the crack between the boards on the shooting bench I never would have gotten it out without taking the barrel off. is this common or just me. Someone mentioned using synthetic patches? Any ideas, don't want this coming up in the field. Bub.

I had the very same problem when first starting out.

I now use synthetic patches (cheapos from Wal Mart have been the best) they come in a clear and camo plastic bag.

Even at that I can not use them on a jag, or they will "stick" at the bottom of the bore.

So I went to a .50 nylon bristle bore brush and wrap the synthetic patch around the brush.

The brush I use came in a Knight cleaning kit.

Only use cotton patch and jag with some type bore cleaner NOT dry.

Hope this helps.

I now use synthetic patches (cheapos from Wal Mart have been the best) they come in a clear and camo plastic bag.
Lol! Those are my favorite to use too. :lol:

Bub said:
First time at the range I dry patched between each shot with a cotton patch.

My "solution" is an easy one-- I never, ever dry patch. If a load burns that poorly, it is adios amigo. :arrow:

At the range, I have a second range rod with a "wooly" or bore mop on the end. I'll run that down if bored, as in waiting for the barrel to cool. :?

I never patch either of my 10 ML's. At the range I will run a 20 ga bore brush dow it 4 or 5 times between eact shot, but that is the only bore cleaning that I do.

I never dry patch all I do is load and shoot and every 3 or 4 shots I may use a 20 gage bore brush. More out of guilt than neccesity.

TargetC.jpg

This is the biggest reason I dry patch. The load is plenty accurate without the hassle of patching but is better when swabbed between shots.

Savage Shooter said:
TargetC.jpg

This is the biggest reason I dry patch. The load is plenty accurate without the hassle of patching but is better when swabbed between shots.

WOW!! Great group there SS. I too swab between each shot to squeeze out the very best my 10 ML-II can offer. It aint necessary for sure but for me the best groups are obtained by doing so.

Latest posts

Back