T/C .58 CAL big bore?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
Anyone ever hunted with a .58 CAL T/C big bore? Any thoughts on the caliber? I see a flintlock on Gun Broker and wondered how that would be for a deer gun.

Thanks,

Joe

.58 is a very good caliber if you just hunt with PRB as the ball weighs 280 gr and can be pushed to decent velocities

It will knock the snot out of a deer.

Good for elk, bear, or anything else you want to point it at.

great caliber! If you can get that gun cheap, you got a deal.

Love mine and hunt with it. I am shooting PRB and am very satisfied with it.

TCBigBoar58Cal-1.jpg

TCBigBoar58Cal-3.jpg

I would be very happy with this gun if that is what you are considering.

Hello Rafsob,

Nice looking caplock rifle you have there!

I did pick up a Cabela's Hawken .58 Cal Flintlock. I'm looking forward to making some smoke at the range and in the field. Never shot one yet, so all new to me.

What are you using for powder and load size?

Thanks,

Joe

I use either Goex Pinnacle or Goex 2F. I have been using 65 to 75 grs. I do lean towards the Goex 2f BP.

Hey Spitfire, just noticed that you are from SA. Do you have strict gun laws there or do you have something close to our laws? Not trying to make this political, just asking a informative question!

Rafsob yes our gun laws are quite strict but we can own most fire arms we desire . Full auto is not allowed . Muzzle loaders can be owned without a license but they regulate the powder. But we get by !

Great to hear that. I envy you for the opportunity to hunt such a wide variety of game in Africa. I see a lot of hunting shows on the TV, but never see much on anyone hunting with a muzzle loader.

Do you belong to a hunt club? Here in the state of Virginia, as with most states anymore, our club leases private property to hunt. Is it similar there?

We have a general hunting season over here , so it's basically hunt with what ya brung ! We hunt on private property and most land owners will allow us to use muzzleloaders. The area i live in has a large concentration of game farms and we normally book hunts where we get the best prices for the animals we want to hunt. No we have no hunting clubs around here .

Latest posts

Back