T/C White Mountain Carbine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbolero

Reaction score
I've been thinking of buying a T/C White Mountain Carbine.Anyone here shoot one? I'd like to know how they shoot and a general idea of what loads work well in them.Thanks!

First off Welcome to the Forum. It's nice to have you here.

The White Mountain Carbine is one of those rifles that have gone through a series of changes. The early rifles had a very fast twist. I think it was 1-24 and then there were some that were 1-32 twist as I remember. Even some 1-48 twist rifles were there. You can also get a Green Mountain Drop in barrel in 21 inches for the rifle.

It probably has a 1-32 twist. They are great conical shooters. Most people shoot the maxiball and Great Plains Conicals out of them with excellent results. They will shoot roundball as well as long as you do not push them too hard. They really were a nice rifle.

I have a Stalker Carbine made by CVA with the 1-32 twist and it is an excellent maxiball shooter. Would make an excellent tree stand rifle.

cayuga,I have only come across a reference to a 1-20 twist in the White Mountain and a custom shop carbine with 1-48,so I guess I need to ask about the twist before I buy one.Thanks for the info and the welcome!

The 1-20 is indeed a fast twist. It should shoot conicals real well. It should also shoot sabots pretty good if you find the right one.

I had a very early model and it shot maxi-balls and Hornady great plains bullets very well with 85 to 90 grains of Pyrodex RS by volume. I did not try pistol bullets/sabots but with todays bullets and weighted charges of T-7 I'll bet it would be a good shooter as well... I really enjoyed how well it handled and its lite weight...

Thanks for the input guys,I found one for sale on the net and they are trying to determine the twist for me.I've had some really bad experiences buying guns on the auction sites, so dont know if I'll bite again.$25 shipping each way is kinda steep to find out the seller is a crook and yer money tied up in his hands all the while.Have to think on it some more.Thanks again,Tim

timberlo, are you talking about those two white mountain carbines that are/were on gunbroker? they look pretty good to me, probably worth the $200 asking price. however, you might be able to find something cheaper. you can always switch out the white mountain barrel with a green mountain 21" barrel :!: i think there was also one on there for $130 . . .

n8dawg6,I bought one of those on Gunbroker.$222 shipped to my door with a $50 T/C tang sight already on it.That was the best deal on one I had seen.Bought it from Richards Gunshop in East Burke Vermont,very nice guy to deal with.Interestingly,(to me anyway) he says he gets those carbines in trade all the time,where I live you hardly EVER see one,but then again he is only 100 miles from the T/C factory.Now if I can wring some good 100 yd groups out of it I'll be set.By the way,I called T/C and they said the twist on the WMC was 1-38 and they had no info on any other twist rates in the 50 cal.

i think you will like that carbine. the twist rate probably is 1-38" . . . that was the twist rate of the t/c thunderhawk carbine i used to have. at 50 yds., that thunderhawk shot great w/ open sights and .44 caliber bullets in break-o-way sabots.

I got lucky a couple months back. I was doing the GunBroker.Com site and happened across a NIB CVA Stalker Carbine with a 1-32 twist. I could remember these rifles back in the early 90's and they were a well recieved rifle then. I talked to two guys back then that had them but never shot one. They claimed some outstanding accuracy with conicals. I made a silly offer of $99.00 for the rifle not expecting to win the bid, and it was accepted.

The rifle's trigger was the only problem when it came to the house. Other then that, I had to clean the packing grease out of the barrel. The rifle had sat on a shelf for 15 years waiting for me to take it home. :D :mrgreen:

f1a91215.jpg

I sent the rifle back to CVA and they fixed the trigger for free. Actually they did a beautiful job on it. The rifle sure seems to be a shooter. This group was shot at 50 yards. I just decided which rifle will go to the range to day for a little workout..

These carbines I always thought would make excellent tree stand rifles. They are short, quick to get on target, and shoot a large conical in thick woods where it is needed..

Cayuga,I've always been drawn to carbines of all types,at 5'8" they seem to fit me a little better than my full size stuff.I really need the 100 yd accuracy out on the prairie and I think this T/C will deliver.I see from your target backer that I'm not the only one recycling cereal boxes.

pvctstandc1600.jpg

This is a target that I made out of 3/4 inch CPVC pipe. It holds my cereal box back stops just wonderful. In case you would like to make one.

newtargetstand.jpg

Cayuga, Great minds think alike...so they say.I made a PVC target similar to that,but with out the bottom legs.I pound 1/2" rebar in the ground and place the open ends of the frame over them.Can't always find a level spot out of the wind for my target stand,but I can get that rebar in about anywhere.I screwed a piece of wood paneling to my frame and staple targets to that,but I have to keep replacing the paneling,so I may modify it with the wires or twine and clips like yours.Thanks!

Back