Tar-Hunt....Range Report Pics...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
I'm speachless...so here are the pictures to expalain....

13_1305.jpg

13_1307.jpg

113_1323.jpg

13_1309.jpg

113_1327.jpg

13_1308.jpg

I had previously sighted the Tar-hunt in only at 50yds. That was the one and only time I ever had it at the range before today. I had sighted it high at high at 50yds, expecting to get to 100yds on my next trip. (Remember the motorclyle accident with the triggersmith, delayed the process a few months...).

Here is the first shot ever taken with this Tar-hunt-Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 setup at 100yds...

113_1366.jpg

After a few more shots I was ready for my first 100 yd 3 shot group...

Here are shots 5, 6, and 7 for the day....READ EM AND WEEP bOYZ...

113_1377.jpg

Spent most of the rest of the day working field training using shooting stix, as well as various combinations of sitting, kneeling, and freehand and snapshot positions....

13_1312.jpg

13_1368.jpg

113_1360.jpg

113_1364.jpg

Nice shooting sluggun Jeff. I know another Jeff who's been wanting one bad but won't spend the grand on a sluggun. I'm gonna turn him green when I show him that 100 yd group. :lol: He's dreaming of one in 20 ga. :D

Patrick White said:
Nice shooting sluggun Jeff. I know another Jeff who's been wanting one bad but won't spend the grand on a sluggun. I'm gonna turn him green when I show him that 100 yd group. :lol: He's dreaming of one in 20 ga. :D

Thanks Pat...

I really gotta say, the gun is everything I expected and then, not some...but, a lot more...LOL

Before today the best groups I have ever gotten from other slug guns were just under 2" at 100yds....I was hoping to get MOA with this rig....When I immediately got sub-1/2MOA I was astounded... :shock:

I can honestly say the only other gun I have ever handled that impressed me as much as this rig was Chuck's Nula...

When you think about it...The two guns really are not very different either.... :wink:

jcchartboy said:
Before today the best groups I have ever gotten from other slug guns were just under 2" at 100yds....I was hoping to get MOA with this rig....When I immediately got sub-1/2MOA I was astounded... :shock:

I know exactly what you mean. I've been there and done that. I've tried saddle mounting a scope on a sluggun, cantilever scoped slugguns, and even tried open sights. Best I ever got was 2" and more a lot worse. I prefer a 20 ga myself and if I were ever going to use a sluggun again the Tarhunt bolt gun would be what I would get. I always wanted to try one but got hooked on ML's first. Now if I got one I'd have to get a thumbhole stock and I can just see the cost keep going up. :lol:

I am sure one of the Mcmillan's would be more than happy to replace their standard stock with a custom inletted, pillared, version of this stock for you about...oh, say an addittional 700$ .... :lol:

thumbholeSilho_lg.jpg

Excellent shooting. Now I have to try the Partition Golds in my TarHunt.

Great shooting Jeff! That's some of the best groups I've ever seen from a slug gun! I think you are doing something RIGHT! :D :yeah:

big6x6 said:
Great shooting Jeff! That's some of the best groups I've ever seen from a slug gun! I think you are doing something RIGHT! :D :yeah:

Thanks Chuck,

I have to admit that I could not have done it without the help that I have received from you and the other members of this board. When it comes down to it, the Tar-Hunt is nothing more a centerfire muzzleloader. All of the concepts that I have learned in regards to shooting muzzleloaders apply directly to shooting rifled shotguns.

Add in the knowledge I have gained in terms of high recoil shooting technique, choice of rests, proper trigger adjustment etc, and I think you can see how you guys all helped me put this together.

Despite the fact that I consider myself very knowledgeable about rifled shotgun shooting, until now I would have considered cracking the MOA mark almost impossible with factory ammo. In all my research the only individual I know of that has achieved this with any regularity is Tar-Hunts own Randy Fritz. Even when he did achieve it, it always seemed to be a notable achievement for him. (It should also be noted that he has been a world class bench rest competitor for years.)

I think what I am trying to get at here is the fact that the knowledge that is being shared on this site is far more powerful than most people here seem to realize. With it, I have just achieved an accomplishment few rifled shotgun hunters in the world will ever even dream of.... :partyman:

All I can say is,,,WOW!! Nice shooting, Jeff. And I agree with your assesment of this board... :wink: Chuck,,just for an example, has helped me immensely with his optic, base, ring reports,,(made me spend more $$ too.) Not to mention all the valuable information shared by others. :wink:

Good shooting Jeff. Real good. Could you post some side pics of the gun itself. Maybe share a little info such as rate of twist, cost, weight, etc. Thanks Rman

Tar-Hunt RSG Mountaineer 20ga...The RSG is a custom two-lug bolt action firearm, drilled and tapped for standard Leupold windage or Weaver bases. The design standardly boasts a glass bedded barreled action with a free-floating, threaded-in heavy wall, fully rifled Shaw barrel in a black matte finish. A black McMillan fiberglass stock and Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad complete the package. Chambered for 3" slugs (RSG-20 & RSG-12), all models carry a limited lifetime warranty, excluding abuse.

Replacement cost of current setup as new including scope rings, custom trigger, 3200$

23 inch barrel...1-23 twist

Tar1.jpg

109_0940.jpg

109_0942.jpg

Impressive is an absolute understatement! Congrats on a fine weapon (doesn't even seem right to refer to it as a shotgun).

Underclocked said:
Congrats on a fine weapon (doesn't even seem right to refer to it as a shotgun).

I agree...as I mentioned earlier, I am starting to think of it as breechloaded, Centerfire Smokeless Muzzleloader... :mrgreen:

It definitely shoots more like a Muzzleloader than a Shotgun that is for sure!!

Great shootin there Jeff!

I had a savage 210 couple a years back & "out of the box" it would shoot neck to neck with my cf's. I was thinkin of NY's huntin souther tier which was sg only then but i never could fit it.

Loggy said:
Great shootin there Jeff!

I had a savage 210 couple a years back & "out of the box" it would shoot neck to neck with my cf's. I was thinkin of NY's huntin souther tier which was sg only then but i never could fit it.

Loggy,

The Savage has been my primary rifled shotgun for years. While I agree it is one of the most acurate slug guns on the market I am very happy to get 1-2 MOA groups ot of it on a good day. On the hand I am relatively certain that in qualified hands 1-2 MOA groups in the Tar-Hunt would be considered a pretty poor day.(relatively speaking).

Of course that is only when it comes to paper punching. On live game they both have their plus and minuses. I personal would be confident with either one for deer, hogs etc.

JEFF

JC,

That is fantastic shooting regardless of the weapon. As much as I've tried, I can't get my Ithaca Deerslayer II to break the 1.5" barrier, even in ideal conditions. I have not tried the Partition Golds in it yet, but I can't imagine getting anything close to those type of results out of the Ithaca. You've got yourself a real tack-driver there!!

Chris

Back