TC Renegade with 1/48 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I was in a muzzle loader store last week Saturday. He had several TC .50 Renegades in excellent shape for $225.00. ( I mean excellent) 1/48 twist. Two with set triggers. I love shooting RBs Out of my 1/66 but a 1/48 would shoot a heavier projectile and give me a little more killing range. Especially with a skinner sight. Im sure this has been covered before but what is the ideal weight to shoot from a 1/48??? Specific projectiles would be appreciated.

I was in a muzzle loader store last week Saturday. He had several TC .50 Renegades in excellent shape for $225.00. ( I mean excellent) 1/48 twist. Two with set triggers. I love shooting RBs Out of my 1/66 but a 1/48 would shoot a heavier projectile and give me a little more killing range. Especially with a skinner sight. Im sure this has been covered before but what is the ideal weight to shoot from a 1/48??? Specific projectiles would be appreciated.
Go back and read Idaholewis's posts/threads that mention 1:48" twist and bullets that he was testing. Every barrel will have it's peculiarities, and thus a particular bullet weight that it prefers.

I think you can safely say that a 1:48' twist will generally shoot well bullets between 250-450 grains.

Sounds very tempting. Wish I lived near by.Any left handed versions?

If you walked out of that shop with out one you are stronger than me,,,I could not,,I want them all and I don't even shoot a rifle like that,,Does that one on the end have a stainless barrel or is it just the way the light is shining?

If you walked out of that shop with out one you are stronger than me,,,I could not,,I want them all and I don't even shoot a rifle like that,,Does that one on the end have a stainless barrel or is it just the way the light is shining?
The first 4 rifles are Thompson/Center rifles, but not the last 2. I think it's just the light reflecting a certain way, not stainless steel. Looks like 2 Renegades, and 2 Renegade Hunters (the ones with the single trigger). Those other two have thin recoil pads on them. No idea what brand they are. That lightly stained, left-hand percussion rifle looks like a Hawken copy of some type. I have never cared for lightly stained wood like that, it's too reflective, and not how an original would have been finished.

Upon further inspection, it looks like the first Renegade Hunter might be wearing an octagon-round, 12 gauge barrel.

I would have had to at least touch every one.
Especially, that third rifle, the 2nd Renegade Hunter, which looks to have a spectacular piece of walnut in the buttstock. That's a total steal for $225.00, even if the bore is less than perfect. Worst case scenario is to have Bobby Hoyt bore a .54 caliber out to a rifled .58 caliber, or a smoothbore 20 gauge.

Im struggling with staying away and not going back. Ill probably wait a couple of weeks and go check it out.

There were a few flintlocks on the rack to the right. I was having a difficult time taking my eyes off of these.

If there are a few flinters there next time I will get pics.

Latest posts

Back