Terminal performance of FTX 265

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabinajiles

Reaction score
This morning I took the first whitetail I've shot while using the 265 gn Hornady FTX bullet, a large, mature doe. I was using an Accura V2 and the FTX was loaded over 110 gn of BH209. I shot her at 92 yds, with a quartering away shot and she was DRT. The bullet entered at the 3rd from last rib, taking out that rib and passed through, exiting just behind the shoulder on the other side, taking out a rib there, too. The exit wound wasn't much bigger than the entry but both lungs were pretty much turned to jelly. I have chronographed that bullet out of that rifle with 100 gns BH209 at 1945 fps, so I figure it was probably around 1980 fps muzzle velocity and about 1665 fps at impact. This is only one deer, but the bullet did exactly what it's supposed to do and is superbly accurate out of the Accura so for now, it will continue to be my go to deer load.

I recently bought the 200gr 44-cal FTX in a bulk 50-pk at Bass Pro Shop. My Knight Vision prefers 40 and 44-cal bullets over the 45.

We are heading into 3-4 months of hard winter here. I may not get to test those FTXs at the range until April 2017.

I've also had perfect performance on the deer I've taken with my 444 Marlins at even higher velocities and as cluse as 20 yds.

An exit hole not much larger than entrance doesn't necessarily mean a lack of expansion. Maximum expanded diameter occurs somewhere inside the critter and then the petals fold back against the shank, hence the exit not being very large. If you spread the petals back out, you will see the true expanded diameter of the bullet.
It would seem that your bullet was running out of steam by the time it exited the late doe. If it had been a closer shot, with higher impact velocity, it would have has a greater hydrostatic effect and would probably have given you a 3 finger exit as the fluid wave ahead of the bullet ruptures the tissue and skin ahead of it.

I know it expanded because the shock completely destroyed both lungs and she dropped in her tracks. I am well pleased with the performance of the bullet. After this season is over, I'm going to see if I can push it a bit faster, without losing accuracy, by upping the powder to 120 gns. I'll also shoot it through the chronograph to see exactly how fast it is going.

Thanks for that explanation Confederate rifleman.

My son shot a buck this year at around 70yds with a 300gr Scorpion PT Gold over 80gr (V) of BH209, and the exit hole wasn't much larger than the entrance hole, despite punching through both shoulders without hitting bone, and taking out a rib on each side. I was surprised at the small dia. hole, but knew the bullet expanded and did its job as the top of the heart was split and the lungs were liquefied. While skinning I noticed how little bloodshot there was, and that would also suggest the bullet was running out of/expended its energy.

That all reinforces something I remember reading long ago about muzzleloaders hurling big chunks of lead at relatively slow speed that simply plow through game with devastating results but without nearly the level of damage/hydrostatic shock/bloodshot as a lighter weight high velocity centerfire round.

Sorry for the highjack... thanks again for the explanation!

Glad to help. The point of my comment was to judge expansion by the internal damage and not the entrance and exit wounds.
One of the best things about Hornady XTP's and FTX's is that they are kind enough to say what velocities are required for optimal expansion. Very helpful when picking loads both heavy and light.

Latest posts

Back