Testing my cotton duck patches

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Got out today finally!

I wanted to test the accuracy of my new patch material and so far its good! The powder is my limiting factor. I just don't get the same accuracy with Black MZ as I do Pyrodex P, but thats ok, its cheap and easy to get here.

First patches I used 80gr Black MZ with a lubed felt wad. Notice the two torn patches? After I saw this, I noticed that my short starter was catching the edges of the patch in the load block and causing the patch material to tear. I thought a couple shots were a little hard to pop into the muzzle and this is when I noticed that I need to spread the material in order to get clean contact on the ball VS on the balled up patch end. Just was starting to punch that ball through the patching!
100_2617.jpg

Next I went to 100gr Black MZ with a .490" round ball and my cotton duck patch. Remember this is around .025" thick when uncompressed and when compressed, measures .018".

I took a total of one shot with the lubed felt wad. I completely forgot to load them on the previous shots and when I realized that, I was completely blown away that they are in such excellent condition! These red/orange patches sure are a lot easier to find on the range!
100_2618.jpg

After removing the wad, we can see just a light darker line around where the wad had been. On my latest wads, I increased the diameter of them so they fit snugger and fill up more, these are just some older wads I punched out the other year. Accuracy with the 100gr charge actually improved my group so next time out, I will concentrate with that load. Its 4" high at 50, which will put me super high at 100, but I may be able to stay on target with a little kentucky windage.
100_2619.jpg

I did notice quite a bit more sharper recoil with the wad in place when using the 100gr charge. Either way, I want to try the wads again and do a side by side to compare groups.

you need to go one step more. pure linen, tight weave and medium weight. duck cotton is good but no match for pure linen. you can even collect the pure linen patches and relube and use again. cant do that with duck cotton. linen is available on web sites on the internet. for every ones info, thats what the old old timers used, pure linen. your traditional, lead the way here and get pure linen. give a report with pictures and lead others down the right path. stop fooling around with that cotton stuff.

FrontierGander said:
Got out today finally!

I wanted to test the accuracy of my new patch material and so far its good! The powder is my limiting factor. I just don't get the same accuracy with Black MZ as I do Pyrodex P, but thats ok, its cheap and easy to get here.

First patches I used 80gr Black MZ with a lubed felt wad. Notice the two torn patches? After I saw this, I noticed that my short starter was catching the edges of the patch in the load block and causing the patch material to tear. I thought a couple shots were a little hard to pop into the muzzle and this is when I noticed that I need to spread the material in order to get clean contact on the ball VS on the balled up patch end. Just was starting to punch that ball through the patching!
100_2617.jpg

Next I went to 100gr Black MZ with a .490" round ball and my cotton duck patch. Remember this is around .025" thick when uncompressed and when compressed, measures .018".

I took a total of one shot with the lubed felt wad. I completely forgot to load them on the previous shots and when I realized that, I was completely blown away that they are in such excellent condition!  These red/orange patches sure are a lot easier to find on the range!
100_2618.jpg

After removing the wad, we can see just a light darker line around where the wad had been. On my latest wads, I increased the diameter of  them so they fit snugger and fill up more, these are just some older wads I punched out the other year. Accuracy with the 100gr charge actually improved my group so next time out, I will concentrate with that load. Its 4" high at 50, which will put me super high at 100, but I may be able to stay on  target with a little kentucky windage.
100_2619.jpg

I did notice quite a bit more sharper recoil with the wad in place when using the 100gr charge. Either way, I want to try the wads again and do a side by side to compare groups.
Jonathan
 I know how to stop that patch tearing. Buy a new short starter from ME?? :lol!:
Stoney

There are so many variations of materials called "duck" I gave up on it decades ago. What you are showing appears to be a very loose weave. You will never get good results with that. I suggest you use only tried and true proven materials that are readily available. e.g. pillow ticking, mattress ticking or denim. Only buy new material (not old shirts or jeans). Measure with a rachet type micrometer and keep track of your shooting results with each one. I believe about 90% of experienced ml shooters use pillow ticking and their choice of lube.

that actually is extremely tight weave and produced 2" groups at 100 yards. Pillow ticking works well in my rifle buts its a little on the thin side. Normal hunting patch is .020" bridgers best, but that may be changing after finding this material.

Latest posts

Back