The East India Company

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
SUBJECT: The East India Company

When we see the name "East India Company" first thing we think of is Johnny Depp's movies "Pirates of the Caribbean". Well folks there really was an East India Company that sailed and for a period of time controlling the high seas.

In its first century and half, the EIC used a few hundred soldiers as guards. The great expansion came after 1750, when it had 3,000 regular troops. By 1763, it had 26,000; by 1778, it had 67,000. It recruited largely Indian Troops and trained them along European lines. The military arm of the East India Company quickly developed into a private corporate armed force used as an instrument of geo-political power and expansion instead of its original purpose as a guard force. Because of this, the EIC became the most powerful military force in the Indian subcontinent. As it increased in size, the army was divided into the Presidency Armies of Bengal, Madras and Bombay, each of which recruited its own infantry, cavalry, and artillery units. The navy also grew significantly, vastly expanding its fleet. Although heavily armed merchant vessels, called East Indiamen, composed most of the fleet, it also included warships which controlled many oceans.
A few years ago I was doing my usual search for HBC or NW Co. trade guns in the latest Shotgun News and the Internet when I breezed by an ad. Then decided to return to see the ad again, interesting and decided to take a chance as there was no phone number.

What the heck the ad says 3 day turn around with purchase $685.00 plus S&H = $725.00 deal ! The gun is ordered.

EAST INDIA CO.

[HDNS]
London / GB, ca 1690 -1858. = According to a friend that reads “hi” and “low” German and translated what was written in “Heer Der Neue Stockel (expensive set of Germany books on weapons from King Author’s time to WWII).

“The EAST INDIA CO”. was doing business in this area as named, as well as supplying locks and barrels for the “cottage industry” for the North American trade too. Northwest type weapons only, long guns only no handheld arms.

(Found name referenced with this information on a gun for sale.)

FOR SALE
Trade Gun, East India Co. pattern, 68 cal x 50” oct/round barrel, lock “Warranted” & picture of elephant. British proof marks with “22” on the breech plug of barrel, gray metal is pitted overall; sound stock, dovetail front sight missing, oversized trigger guard, missing one screw, good condition. Maker-Bond London/GB
SALE $685.00

img2.jpg
EAST INDIA CO. GUN - for sale​

From the pictures one would think this is a Northwest Gun, but on handling the gun it was found to be of lesser quality than that any North American Indian would have accepted. Side plate has a similar military style, lock was poor construction methods.
img3.jpg
img9.jpg

Appearance of “East India Co.” trade gun looks like our NW gun, hardware, walnut stock and shape of overall weapon.

img6.jpg

British proof marks are the same as the Northwest Guns, stamped “East India Co.” - inspector’s mark is similar in style to what we see on the NW trade guns found in our market.

img7.jpg

Trigger guard style and shape like many of the European makers of NW guns.

EAST INDIA CO. Trade Gun.

What I found interesting was the India gun was like the NW trade gun in parts, material used, same British proof marks as the North American versions, but the “sitting fox” changes to an “elephant” for this trade in India. We learned about the trade in other markets because of this gun (had never even given the rest of the world a thought). Otherwise I would have passed it by if not for the picture in the ad that got me to look at it again.

img8.jpg
EAST INDIA CO. trade gun.

(Note the absence of the “Sitting Fox” or “Tombstone Fox” we are accustomed to seeing replaced with an “Elephant” on the lock plate for the East India trade!)

After several “rubbings”, this was the best we could get of the “Elephant” found on the lock plate below the pan, the one on the barrel was worn and rusted worse than this one. Pretty crude when compared to the “Foxes”. This “East India Co.” trade gun has nothing to do with the Northwest Gun seen in North America other than being the same makers in Europe (very poor quality workmanship even in its poor condition, possibility folks learning the trade). This gun would not have stood up to the inspectors for HBC or NW Co. approval. This may have been why it ended up going to a different country.

The gun had a three day turn around for a refund; opened box and viewed the rust, took gun from its packaging, took pictures and shipped it back within the same day. And the ad said "British proof marks with “22” on the breech plug of barrel, gray metal is pitted overall; sound stock, dovetail front sight missing, oversized trigger guard, missing one screw, good condition. Maker-Bond London/GB" - "good condition" my butt ....

Ordered But Returned For A Refund

Attachments

• img5.gif
    img5.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 1
Interesting, very interesting. Thanks for sharing about your find from the E.I.C.
I have toyed with the idea of purchasing an 18th century weapon offered by IMA-USA, pulled from storage in Nepal via the East India Company, and stated to be in repairable condition. They look like a great long term project for someone with time on their hands, but thus far, can't bring myself to invest the time and money in another project.

Many of these weapons that are stored for any length of time have self destructed with moisture. That was the case of the tradegun. I shined a light down the barrel and very faintly could see pin holes half way down the barrel.

If you jump and buy one of these guns be sure there is a return policy in case its like the one wrote about here.

I be leave that I have seen on historical sites of E. I. C. MUSKETS that have a dancing elephant on them and a dancing loin used on others? anyone ever seen the marks i have described? at 70+++++ yrs. old every thing gets fuzzy.

I be leave that I have seen on historical sites of E. I. C. MUSKETS that have a dancing elephant on them and a dancing loin used on others? anyone ever seen the marks i have described? at 70+++++ yrs. old every thing gets fuzzy.
Have seen four of these E.I.C. trade guns and owned one for a short time. Poor workmanship but same parts as those built for the rest of the world.

img3.jpg

We have collected North West Trade Guns for over 100 years, there's always one to upset the apple cart .....

Latest posts

Back