The elk drought ends

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been shooting muzzleloaders for over 30 years so I had the basics down, but quite a few guys helped get me back in the swing of things and updated me on new things like shimming to eleminate blowback. LOTS of guys gave me good advice there and jsteurrys first sent me some metal shims. And when I decided to try rubber O-rings, he sent me some of those! They worked great! And ElDiablo and I talked privately a lot and he had a lot of good info to share as well.

Thx one and all for sharing your knowledge! You guys truly helped me be successful!

Last edited:
Awesome standoff there, you worked thru the shakes and pulled it off! Congratulations! This has me itching to get out there for my upcoming elk hunt.

Congrats on a great hunt and bull. Your patience and shooting skills were well used. Glad your brother was able to get it on video.
I will be cashing in some preference points and heading to Colorado's Unit 61 next September for a muzzleloader hunt as well. Your post got me stoked up. I am currently working up some loads and figuring out which of my muzzleloaders will be going with me.

Last edited:
Man! That’s super! Great shooting and a fine bull with a muzzy! I know you’re proud. Again, good job!

What an amazing hunt & video. I can only dream of a hunt like that. Congratulations! Thank you sir for sharing your adventure with us.

FYI, it has been said that you can’t shim bolt guns with an O ring. But it worked great in my Knight LRH. Just enough crush to stop blowback but not enough to twist/booger up the O ring

This is a picture of the O ring in my gun today when I cleaned the gun. I shot 5 times after getting up here make sure Zero hadn’t changed and the 4 more for the hunt (1at elk, 2 fired into the hill during the hunt to reload, and the reload after shooting the bull). So 9 shots total and O ring still looks goodB179A61A-13FB-4667-9555-800CC92402D4.jpeg

4A5E172D-AB93-4514-9650-0383BC1E8D2C.jpeg945B7A66-B658-4E5E-92EC-7541D9FE8440.jpeg
This was my target bull. And I sat that waterhole multiple times trying to get a crack at him. But he only came by once close to shooting light. And when I say close, I mean REALY close. He bugled 3 times on his way to water with his cows and they were at the pond about 6-8 min with him offering a broadside shot at 75 yards multiple times. But he stepped into the cedars and disappeared not more than 3 min before I could see my sights! That’s hunting and it was still an exciting encounter.

Need bigger picture!!! ;) Or better light, or both. But I can see why he was the one you were after.

In the video of you shooting, I can see what looks like two strands of barbed wire going across between you and that elk. Is that right?

Old broken down fence. In the shooting lane there was a strand of wire basically laying on the ground. Was able to shoot over it and step over it.
https://cdn2.imagearchive.com/moder...22/22029-e55438b377d732d4ff561bf82b9edd89.mov that made it a bit bigger then I used the controls in the video to make it full screen.

You were also stepping under another strand of wire. I watched that video at the source and enlarged the picture, then I could tell what those lines were. Thought I was imagining things at first. ;)

Back