Time to think about riflescopes....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Over the past weekend I studied four similarly powered scopes that I have on hand; the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40, Nikon Monarch 3-9x40, Leupold 3-9X33 Ultralight, and Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X36. Lately, I've been downsizing a lot of things around here. Unnecessary size/weight is one of the items I've been looking at.

I picked these four scopes for a reason. My thought is that the Conquest is the best $400.00 scope out there. Also, the Nikon has always impressed me optically for the money. The two Leupolds are my attempt to decrease stature and weight on upcoming muzzleloaders. My thinking was to do a little informal test and compare the full-sized Conquest to the Leupold Ultralight and then see how the Nikon and VX-III stack up.

I started yesterday afternoon looking at birds, tree bark, people boating, reading, boat tags, etc. I was at Moms house and she lives on a lake! All the scopes were clear in bright light as could be. One on my favorite test is to read license plates(all boat docks must be registered on this lake) of the boat docks across the lake. The license plates are red with white numbers for a really good contrast. The distances are from 203 to 235yds per rangefinder.

Since the max magnification is 8X on the Leupold VX-III(yes I know it is actually 7.8X :shock: ), I set all the scope on 8X. Viewing the tags in good light was absolutely no issue at all. All the scopes were clear and bright in good light as they should be. Starting at 6PM however, I checked back every 20 minutes to see if I could still read the plates until 7:30 and then I just constanted checked. I had absolutely no problem at all until about 7:50PM. All the scopes started getting a little fuzzy. At 8PM, I could no longer distinctly make out the lettering on the plates with the Leupold Ultralight and the VX-III. At approx 8:05 the Nikon was too fuzzy and somewhere between 8:10-8:15PM the Conquest became too fuzzy.

What conclusions did I come to other than my eyes were tired? :shock:

1. The Conquest WAS the best scope I had, albeit not by much! :!:
2. For the money, the Nikon Monarch is VERY hard to beat!
3. The VX-III was really no better optically than the Ultralight which is advertised as using VX-II components.
4. The two Leupolds with smaller objectives held their own against the larger objective scopes.
5. I LIKE that Ultralight 3-9x33. Being 15% shorter and weighing 38% less than the Conquest it gave up VERY little in low light performance.
6. There isn't much optical difference at all between Leupolds VX-II and VX-III riflescopes.

2005miscpics%20048.jpg

Nice write-up Chuck! I like the Zeiss and the Kahles so far. Expensive, but hard to beat. The Conquest line sure is great glass for the money though. Now go ahead and tell us the truth, the babe in the g-string was getting a little blurry WHEN? :lol:

big6x6 said:
One on my favorite test is to read license plates(all boat docks must be registered on this lake) of the boat docks across the lake.

I think license plates at before dawn / after dusk is one of the best subjective tests anyone can do.

big6x6 said:
There isn't much optical difference at all between Leupolds VX-II and VX-III riflescopes.

The Leupold Answer Guide

What is the difference between the VX-II and Vari-X III
The VX-II has the same tactile, audible, click-style adjustments as the Vari-X III, but there are a couple of differences. The Vari-X III is a one piece maintube, the VX-II is 3 piece construction. The Vari-X III has Multicoat 4 on all lenses, while the VX-II has Multicoat 4 on the external lenses and magnesium fluoride on the internal lenses. The difference in lens coatings results in the Vari-X III having approximately 92% total light transmission, the VX-II having approximately 86%.

(Makes you wonder---------------------- :roll: )

Good info Chuck. Ever since I bought my first Zeiss I have been sold and now I own three. I still like the Leupolds but only the VX-III's. For the money Zeiss still wins hands down with me. :)

Very good write up Chuck. I enjoyed it! Good information as well!

I REALLY like those ZEISS scopes! I must have one some day!!

I think the best scope I own is a 4200 4x16x40 - very bright and crisp

I wonder how a 4200 would have done in this test?

Curious, where the heck are those 4200's made anyway?? I got a 3200 which is stamped Made In Japan but possibly the higher end 4200's are German or Austrian made? :lol:

Loggy said:
Curious, where the heck are those 4200's made anyway?? I got a 3200 which is stamped Made In Japan but possibly the higher end 4200's are German or Austrian made? :lol:

Japan: "Light Optical Works."

I've owned a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for about 6 months now. It is my first Zeiss product. But it surely won't be my last! It's probably one of the better scopes I've ever owned. I imagine the next scope purchase I make will be a Conquest also!

Loggy said:
Curious, where the heck are those 4200's made anyway??

Loggy, I'm still attempting to launch my fabulous new Maginot Scope Line-- but, I'm afraid the Germans will fly right over it.

Again. :cry:

Very catchy Randy! They actually went around it.

The Bungling Scope Works.. very nice! oh... and French!

Think Magnify With Maginot! 8)

Gimme a break, there Doohan. It is the latest in authentic "period scopes."

Historically accurate, my Maginot Scope Line is very French, very expensive, and of course does not work.

RandyWakeman said:
Loggy said:
Curious, where the heck are those 4200's made anyway??

Loggy, I'm still attempting to launch my fabulous new Maginot Scope Line-- but, I'm afraid the Germans will fly right over it.

Again. :cry:

:lol: Be a slam dunk for sure...or maybe just a dunk!

Pending box design...chuck might be a taker to add to his fabulous collection!! :lol:

The only thing I didn't like about my Conquest was the packaging. I thought that the brown cardboard protector was less than becoming for such a high class glass company :?:

vensioneatr, I agree on the packaging of the Zeiss, it really sucked for that caliber of scope. :shock:

Back