Tominator Turkey time

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackSmoke

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do some load development for turkey season here in Ohio and Kentucky. I have three powders in FFG and multiple powders in FFFG including real black.
My components are pictured.

I will be using the 3" BPS un-slit version so I can experiment with different length slits and how it affects pattern. #5 shot copper plated shot 1 3/40z. load. I have the wool felt pads to put over the powder.

Rifle is fitted with a Hastings .665 super full choke, a new factory breech plug, and the Leupold 1-4 turkey-plex reticle scope.

Of the three powders pictured what would be your recommendation? also what should I be using over the top of the shot? Shot distance will not exceed 50 yards.IMG_2666.jpegIMG_2662.jpegIMG_2663.jpegIMG_2664.jpeg

I’m not sure it matters all that much which powder you use. I’m not a big fan of Pyrodex. I’m currently using 85 grV 2F 777 in mine (with a 5 gr black igniter charge). There is a very slight delay in ignition without the black powder igniter in my gun. I think you’d get a little less smoke from the 777 vs Pyrodex.

My .665” ext choke throws a great pattern to 50 yards but the pattern is even better with my load in the .680 choke. Also tried an extended .650 - today - not as good.

I’m using 2 foam wads over the shot. Works great.

Back