Trade Thinking??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave James

Reaction score
Have decided to trade off or sell my left handed TC New Englander in 54cal. They don't bring as much in my area as the new fangled inlines, so am wondering what base model inline would be a good one to look for in a trade?? I'm thinking my sale price to be 250-300, I may be high not sure yet.

I see a few problems you might face...

One it is left handed, and any firearms dealer will use that to claim they will have a hard time selling it and want to give you next to nothing for it. Also the New Englander was not a large dollar rifle, even new. So now that it is used, well.. I bought two used ones. I paid $100.00 for one of them, and $150.00 for the other. And while one is a piece of junk IMO, the other is an excellent rifle. So your price is a little high.

What I would suggest is keep the New Englander as a second rifle and just look for an inline that is in your budget and purchase that. OR try and sell the rifle on your own through forums. Be advised.. the price you ask will be directly proportional to the interest your rifle gets.

OK, thanks for the price area to go to, yep left hand is hard to get rid of, I sold my 8 bore twice just because it was an under hammer design, I now have it back for the thrid time and didn't think I would need the 54,

There is a dealer here who will take it , he has a remington with the breech that swings open to the left wants about 175 so it sounds like I would be in the ball park for now.

New Englanders are fine guns, light weight and handy. And leftys are hard to come by. My thinking is if you get rid of it now there will come a day a year or two from now you will regret doing so.

As my dad used to say, "it doesn't take up much space, you don't have to feed it every day or clean up its crap, so you may as well keep it around".

I thought the same way for a long time, but I'm closer to 70 than I am to 60, time to enjoy smaller numbers

I parted out a .45 t/c hawken and easily got more than double what I would have got for just the rifle.

Latest posts

Back