Traditions E-Bolt 209 - what can I cast for this?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solomoriah

Reaction score
It has a 1-20" twist. I tried shooting PRB with as little as 40 grains of powder and it was not hitting a 2 foot wide target at 50 yards. Also tried a Minie ball. Went to 60 and then 80 grains and still was not hitting the paper.

Not only am I NOT a bad shot, this was over a rest with a 4x scope on it. I do not want to buy sabots or any other premade bullet.

That being said, this my be hopeless. This came off gunbroker for $78 with the description it was not in good shape. When I load it I get increased resistance for about 6" ending about 2" before the ball finally seats. If that part of the bore is rough due to rust or corrosion is that damaging the bullet to where it will not engage the rifling?

Next trip to the range I will try an experiment - put an over the powder cardboard wad in it followed by a couple of ounces of filler so the ball seats on top of that rough patch.

I'm assuming you did a deep clean with an aggressive brush or steel wool to get a good feel for the condition of the barrel. A good veggie or wool wad maybe all you need. May I ask why no pre-made sabot load?

I'm assuming you did a deep clean with an aggressive brush or steel wool to get a good feel for the condition of the barrel. A good veggie or wool wad maybe all you need. May I ask why no pre-made sabot load?
Cost. Only cost. Cheapest I can find a sabot is like 18 cents each.

I ran a swab of rust dissolver down the bore and left it a bit. Now patches run through smooth and clean. No telling how pitted it is without a bore scope I do not have.

In this size I can cast round ball, Minie or R.E.A.L. I'm tempted to see if my 45-70 bullets fit

It has a 1-20" twist. I tried shooting PRB with as little as 40 grains of powder and it was not hitting a 2 foot wide target at 50 yards. Also tried a Minie ball. Went to 60 and then 80 grains and still was not hitting the paper.

Not only am I NOT a bad shot, this was over a rest with a 4x scope on it. I do not want to buy sabots or any other premade bullet.

That being said, this my be hopeless. This came off gunbroker for $78 with the description it was not in good shape. When I load it I get increased resistance for about 6" ending about 2" before the ball finally seats. If that part of the bore is rough due to rust or corrosion is that damaging the bullet to where it will not engage the rifling?

Next trip to the range I will try an experiment - put an over the powder cardboard wad in it followed by a couple of ounces of filler so the ball seats on top of that rough patch.
Try 20 grains of powder. If you try to push a patched round ball too quickly in a barrel with shallow rifling and a fast twist, the patched ball doesn't engage the rifling and just skips over it. Check the condition of your fired patches. X

Latest posts

Back