Traditions Frontier Scout

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Folks, 

I've had the above gun for about 4 yrs played with it on and off but the 1 in 66 twist put me off as I am not really a prb guy.  I've tried different sights to give you an idea I ordered the Traditions octagonal sights but the rear sight was so big I would lose the front sight so I took those off and put a CVA rear sight from a Buckhorn  on and left the Traditions front sight on bought a box of the Hornady 240 Pa conicals and some wads to protect the bases of the conicals from gas blow by.  I thought after the first shot I'd goofed because it looked like the round wasn't stabilized though it loaded snug so I removed the wad  which  fixed that problem .  I ended up with a 5 shot group under an inch at 55 yds.   :D 

The Black MZ and 209 mag-spark were super spontaneous ignition and it sounded like those Hornady conicals were whacking the plastic backers with a lot of oomph from the 80 gr volume charges.  The only issue I had were the conicals which looked like the guy in charge of lubing them at Hornady hit the button twice they were really slathered with the lube to the point where I took my fingers and wiped away the excess from the muzzle so it didn't interfere with the exit, but leading was minimal.

I wish I could have taken it out another 25 yds but the combination of the wind picking up from 5 to 18 mph and father obligations prevented my from doing that but boy am I pleased,
luv experimenting with this stuff its half the fun.

Sounds like you've got her all figured out!

The wads can really kill accuracy sometimes, its always best to try it both ways to figure out the best result. My rifle hates it when i use maxiballs with a wad, it certainly will not hit a 50 yard target lol.

Have you ever tried the R.E.A.L bullet? They are very short and stubby, may work well in that slow twist.

I thought about those Jon but it seemed after using the Buffalo Ball-ets that there was either a size issue or gas cutting of the bases hence the wads but I'm guessing that the wad stuck to the first bullet so after I stopped using them I was getting nice clean holes.

Most of the calibre long conicals should work well with the slow twist.

Latest posts

Back