Traditions Tracker 209 rifling

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I have very little experience with muzzleloaders but a little experience with regular cartridge shooting firearms.

I bought a very old Traditions Tracker 209 back a couple of months ago. I've had a lot of fun learning about it and shooting it. I'm not a precision shooter so just keeping it on the circle at 100 yards is good for me.

I wash out the bore and brush it, oil it etc when I get it back to the house. I guess I never really looked at the rifling that close before last night. I know when I look at the rifling on a modern pistol or rifle (except Glock) I see rifling that has "aggressive bite" to it for lack of better words. I know for example Glocks don't have that kind of rifling. Theirs is "Hex" I think they call it, but in any case, it's not got sharp edges on the rifling where other brands do.

My Traditions Tracker 209 rifling seems to look more like Glock rifling than what I am used to seeing. I'm attaching a photo. It's hard to get good rifling photos. I'm not too picky about this thing. I know it has a few rust specks on / in it. But, look at the photo and tell me, is my bore worn smooth our of is that the way its supposed to look?

Nicki.

Attachments

• 20230112_191801.jpg
    20230112_191801.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230112_191759.jpg
    20230112_191759.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Congrats on the new to you Traditions. I have a Traditions Timber Ridge 209 that is essentially the same rifle. Your rifling looks good. Over the years as a firearms dealer, I have seen hundreds of barrels. You are correct that Glocks rifling is somewhat unique.

To deep clean a used muzzleloader barrel, consider using a new brass brush, three sections of rod and an electric drill. Using plenty of barrel cleaners, such as Hopps (or diesel fuel), run it up and down about a dozen times a a lower speed.I had to do this a couple of times to restore some neglected muzzleloader barrels, but the results were were serviceable firearms (2" groups) at the end of the day.

To deep clean a used muzzleloader barrel, consider using a new brass brush, three sections of rod and an electric drill. Using plenty of barrel cleaners, such as Hopps (or diesel fuel), run it up and down about a dozen times a a lower speed.
Ive cleaned some the same way, but i also like to scrub a bit with out spinning the brush, follow the rifling. It seems like it gets a little more out of the corners of the grooves.

Congrats on the new to you Traditions. I have a Traditions Timber Ridge 209 that is essentially the same rifle. Your rifling looks good. Over the years as a firearms dealer, I have seen hundreds of barrels. You are correct that Glocks rifling is somewhat unique.

To deep clean a used muzzleloader barrel, consider using a new brass brush, three sections of rod and an electric drill. Using plenty of barrel cleaners, such as Hopps (or diesel fuel), run it up and down about a dozen times a a lower speed.I had to do this a couple of times to restore some neglected muzzleloader barrels, but the results were were serviceable firearms (2" groups) at the end of the day.
Regarding using a drill, my cleaning rod has a swivel on the handle end to allow the rod to rotate freely. I'd need to look into a different cleaning rod kit.

The bore has surface rust.

Purchase a small can of Evapo Rust from the auto parts store. Plug the nipple hole, stand the barrel breech down and fill the bore with Evapo Rust, being careful to keep the stuff off the bluing.

Let stand for 12-15 hours, pour the Evapo Rust back into the can and clean the bore with tap water and patches.

Evapo Rust eats up rust but does not harm the barrel.

Get a stainless hoppe’s 20ga tornado cleaning brush and use about any nitro bore cleaner or cutting oil and you’ll clean that crud and corrosion out in no time. 1678703004304.jpeg

Forgot to mention you will need a shotgun cleaning rod or a adapter for the rod you have.

I have an '03 production Tracker 209 that has rounded rifling. Actually very reminiscent of Metford pattern.
It shoots everything well and is VERY easily cleaned. No corners to hide fouling.
I've wondered why no one has resurrected Metford rifling. It was designed to minimize black powder fouling effects in breechloaders.
The Traditions version I have has rounded lands, but not rounded grooves like a true Metford.

Latest posts

Back