Treestand Advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I concur that it takes an inital and confirming input for a deer to become alarmed. The first, unless it is scent, just makes them curious. I have repeatedly had deer charge, stomp in front of me, and blow to get the blob sitting against the tree to move. I usually wear black Woolrich Malone pants, and a wool hoodie when it is cold. I use camo in warmer weather.

I have had a person walk up and stare at me trying to figure out what I was. Another time a person tried stealing the steps for my treestand while I was sitting above him. After a few minutes of sitting there watching him, I said,"Hi, how are you doing today!" He had leaned his rifle against a tree, and when I called out to him, he took off running without the rifle. He eventually came back and sheepishly asked for it.

Bitter cold is the best scent controller. Once I was so cold that when a very nice buck strolled out I could not draw my Black Widow.

Back