Triple 7 "Cleaner" hahahahahahahahah

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Fanboy

Supporting Member
Supporting member
Reaction score
do not know, But I got my copy of the SDS or MSDS of Triple 7, today not sure if everyone knows or is aware Sugar is one of the fuels Sugar just because it "Dries Clear" or leaves a sticky clear film this does not make it "Cleaner" but hey it aint none of my business. Why is Triple 7 Cleaner? It aint just dries clear candy shell. That "appears" to be no fouling hahahahahahahahaah, in other yes Clear Fouling well is still fouling I do not care if it is "Clear" or Black. But hey it aint none of my business
Wait there is more, 3 Nitro Benzoic acid is also found in 777, 3 Nitro Benzoic Acid, Nitric Acid and Nitro Benzoic acid are all 10 times more corrosive than the Parent Benzoic acid and can dissolve metals but hey it has a pretty odor. So pretty much it is NOT "cleaner" Fouling is "Softer" merely due to the ACIDIC compounds and still requires the same exact clean up to neutralize the acidic compounds, with the addition of a baking soda wash but hey it aint none of my business. Give me plain old smelly and sulfuric any day.

Last edited:
If you want to shoot clean, black powder or substitutes is not the powder to shoot. With the exception of BH209. Shooting black powder is like having children and grandchildren, It can be a bit of a pain in the but, but in the end its well worth it. No avoiding it.

As of late, I'm burning more Triple 7 just to see how much I like it. I find it is cleaner burning than black powder but it's still dirty. I clean up with warm water and a few drops of dish detergent.
Wait there is more, 3 Nitro Benzoic acid is also found in 777, 3 Nitro Benzoic Acid, Nitric Acid and Nitro Benzoic acid are all 10 times more corrosive than the Parent Benzoic acid and can dissolve metals but hey it has a pretty odor. So pretty much it is NOT "cleaner" Fouling is "Softer" merely due to the ACIDIC compounds and still requires the same exact clean up to neutralize the acidic compounds, with the addition of a baking soda wash but hey it aint none of my business. Give me plain old smelly and sulfuric any day.

I don't think 777 produces clear fowling. Burnt sugar is not clear, I shoot the stuff regularly and have never witnessed this.

If you do your part corrosion shouldn't be an issue with any kind of powder. I haven't found 777 to be particularly hard to clean, I have great results with basic soap and water.

Some of us shoot substitutes because it's what is readily available and it works. With that being said I do plan to mail order in some real black (nothing available from a brick and mortar within 4-5 hours of me) because I now have the flint lock bug real bad.

Really!!!
I don’t know why your worried about powder being cleaner.
All I know it works a lot Better then pyrodex and I like it and never had a problem with it.
Do you think the food you eat is cleaner or the drinks that you drink are cleaner?
Nope!! so why worry about powder.

And I don’t mind at all if I have to clean a black dirty rifle after a day of shooting of something that I love doing and I shoot goex, Swiss,T7 and BH209.
Let the smoke roar out of the muzzle of my rifle any day and go home with a smile on my face.

I guess it’s what separates the men from the boys because I have no problems getting my hands dirty.

Y’all have a blessed day.

As of late, I'm burning more Triple 7 just to see how much I like it. I find it is cleaner burning than black powder but it's still dirty. I clean up with warm water and a few drops of dish detergent.
That is all I am saying it is not cleaner, due to acidity the fouling maybe softer but most definite still needs the same exact cleaning as BP or Pyrodex so where exactly is this "cleaner" some others have tried to get me to swallow as they have. I do not see it

No propellant is "clean". One propellant may take less time to clean than another, but "clean" is a word often used wrong.

Every rifle, or firearm for that matter, requires cleaning. How much cleaning one may require can be significantly different. Same for shooting smokeless propellants, and I've seen many a good barrel ruined from poor cleaning or not cleaning.

Actually, T7 cleans up relatively easy. It actually cleans up better than "clean burning BH209". T7 is a good propellant, but it also requires "special attention", such as swabbing to keep a crud ring down. For over 95% of most hunters with rifles capable of shooting T7, it's a fine propellant.

I've shot CASES of T7 in the past, 180grs of T7 pellets with 300gr bullets in an Ultimate BP Xpress. I could completely clean that rifle with just 5 patches. There's no way I can clean up BH with just 5 patches.

Yep, folks make all kinds of claims against Triple Seven. Triple Seven is much less corrosive than either black powder or Pyrodex.

The solution: After firing Triple Seven or anything else, properly clean your gun. If your gun is rusting you ain't properly cleaning/preserving the thing.

No propellant is "clean". One propellant may take less time to clean than another, but "clean" is a word often used wrong.

Every rifle, or firearm for that matter, requires cleaning. How much cleaning one may require can be significantly different. Same for shooting smokeless propellants, and I've seen many a good barrel ruined from poor cleaning or not cleaning.

Actually, T7 cleans up relatively easy. It actually cleans up better than "clean burning BH209". T7 is a good propellant, but it also requires "special attention", such as swabbing to keep a crud ring down. For over 95% of most hunters with rifles capable of shooting T7, it's a fine propellant.

I've shot CASES of T7 in the past, 180grs of T7 pellets with 300gr bullets in an Ultimate BP Xpress. I could completely clean that rifle with just 5 patches. There's no way I can clean up BH with just 5 patches.

I agree 100% with Encore. I’ve shot both t7 and bh209 and t7 definitely cleans up faster and with less patches than bh209 bh209 definitely doesn’t leave a crud ring if you can get it to ignite every time. Way too finicky for me to hunt with.

Spit patches between shots and a few wipes with a decent solvent when you're done. What is the big deal? I fail to see the relevance of this thread.
The hardest part of shooting ML's is cleaning the carbon build up caused by caps and primers. Maybe start a thread on that.............

I don't think 777 produces clear fowling. Burnt sugar is not clear, I shoot the stuff regularly and have never witnessed this.

If you do your part corrosion shouldn't be an issue with any kind of powder. I haven't found 777 to be particularly hard to clean, I have great results with basic soap and water.

Some of us shoot substitutes because it's what is readily available and it works. With that being said I do plan to mail order in some real black (nothing available from a brick and mortar within 4-5 hours of me) because I now have the flint lock bug real bad.
Regarding flintlocks, I'm curious which powder substitute is preferred if Black Powder isn't available ... T7 comes in granulation sizes up to FFFg.
Been starting to feel the flintlock fever also, though I'll always have aortic room for my modern inlines. Been eyeballing the Kibler Long Rifles often mentioned on our sister site, The Muzzleloading Forum.

Latest posts

Back