Trying to get the old Pedersoli 12ga SxS ready for turkey season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I’d spend some more time learning how to use this shotgun - finally. I haven’t touched it in 2yrs.
I used 80g first, then 75g V T7ff with 1/8” over powder card, 1.5oz 2shot with buffer. I used 1/2” pre lubed fiber wads under the shot & on top of the thin over shot card.
At 35yds,
80g seemed a little too hot for this gun, so 75g seemed better.
Neither load patterned well enough to hunt with at that range. The barrels are 30” cyl/mod.
The last shot I fired the ramrod must have jumped out enough that it blew off the brass 12ga brass end & a little below that. So now I need a new hickory ramrod for 30” barrels. I’ve found them on TOW for 28” but none for 30”.
Any suggestions on where to order a replacement would be appreciated. I didn’t see the one I need on Pedersoli or Dixie gun works.

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpeg
    IMG_0526.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0525.jpeg
    IMG_0525.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0527.jpeg
    IMG_0527.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Fall ML turkey starts for us in 5 weeks :) Ill be up there this weekend working on a load for my 12ga inline

@Ninering62 pics of patterns?
Pics of patterns......LMAO, not with what I saw today bro. No " patterns " to show or speak of.
Turkeys at 35yrds with what I saw today - are perfectly SAFE. I need a new ramrod now before I can shoot it again.

Maybe try some #4 shot.
I have 7.5 shot, 5 shot & some 2 shot. Ive tried 5 shot the last few times I shot it. I dumped both barrels at 3 huge beard draggers at 30yds or so with 1.5oz of 5 shot. They all flew over the fence unharmed. Thats when I put the thing in the case where its sat for 2yrs untouched. I don't know how anyone else can get cyl/mod to shoot like full's, but I have not been able to do it. Screw in choke tubes will be next, or getting a diff gun.

I have 7.5 shot, 5 shot & some 2 shot. Ive tried 5 shot the last few times I shot it. I dumped both barrels at 3 huge beard draggers at 30yds or so with 1.5oz of 5 shot. They all flew over the fence unharmed. Thats when I put the thing in the case where its sat for 2yrs untouched. I don't know how anyone else can get cyl/mod to shoot like full's, but I have not been able to do it. Screw in choke tubes will be next, or getting a diff gun.
I do ,my Pedersoli 12 ga likes 1 1/4 oz of #6 shot over (wait for it) equal amount of cream of wheat and no wad/card between shot /COW over 80 gr OE 2F or 3F and 1 Dura Felt wad dry or lubed to hold the shot in the barrel 35 yds on the full choked and 30 yds on the improved barrel !! Ranged yardage not estimated !!! /Ed

I do ,my Pedersoli 12 ga likes 1 1/4 oz of #6 shot over (wait for it) equal amount of cream of wheat and no wad/card between shot /COW over 80 gr OE 2F or 3F and 1 Dura Felt wad dry or lubed to hold the shot in the barrel 35 yds on the full choked and 30 yds on the improved barrel !! Ranged yardage not estimated !!! /Ed
Thanks for your insight. IF I had a full choke barrel too, I'm sure I'd have a pattern I could hunt with at 35yds. Getting a IC/MOD to shoot LIKE a full choke is a mystery to me without choke tubes.

Thanks for your insight. IF I had a full choke barrel too, I'm sure I'd have a pattern I could hunt with at 35yds. Getting a IC/MOD to shoot LIKE a full choke is a mystery to me without choke tubes.
Try it with what you have ,in Europe all the competition skeet shooters are using that combination of cream of wheat under shot (it works) , what have you got to lose except breakfast? Until this I was getting patterns a squirrel would laugh at /Ed

I thought I’d spend some more time learning how to use this shotgun - finally. I haven’t touched it in 2yrs.
I used 80g first, then 75g V T7ff with 1/8” over powder card, 1.5oz 2shot with buffer. I used 1/2” pre lubed fiber wads under the shot & on top of the thin over shot card.
At 35yds,
Neither load patterned well enough to hunt with at that range. The barrels are 30” cyl/mod.
The last shot I fired the ramrod must have jumped out enough that it blew off the brass 12ga brass end & a little below that. So now I need a new hickory ramrod for 30” barrels. I’ve found them on TOW for 28” but none for 30”.
Any suggestions on where to order a replacement would be appreciated. I didn’t see the one I need on Pedersoli or Dixie gun works.
I got a replacement from Pendersoli. I thought the wood ones were not strong enough.

At 35yds,
Might consider "The Load" by Skychief - Skychief Smoothbore Load Recipe........

@Ninering62 finally sent me a pic of the pattern he was getting...

View attachment 37651
ROFLMFAO
The only difference in reality is -a lot less pellets surrounding it too. At this point, other than a little scare & perhaps a little ringing in their ears, my Pedersoli is keeping them turkeys perfectly safe from bein stuffed & roasted.

Latest posts

Back