Success With my Dad's .54 Sidelock!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My father had this rifle made over 40 years ago, and it had never been fired until last year when he gave it to me and I started shooting it. I took it with me last season a few times but never had a shot at anything. Finally, today was the day. After filing down the front sight about 1/5" I had it dead on at 50 yards. This morning in N IL was a perfect morning- about 20 degrees, and virtually no wind. I saw four deer at about 100 yards through some brush about a half hour after light, then another three about 30 minutes after that following the same trail. At that point I decided to move off the hillside I was hunting on and cut the distance in half. I climbed up in one of the stands on the property and had a doe and her fawn come in around 9:00 AM. She was headed right at me, but fortunately there was a big tree she walked behind, so I had the opportunity to fully cock the hammer without her looking at me when the hammer clicked. Ended up taking what ended up being a perfect shot when she was approximately 40 yards away. She was slightly quartering to- my round ball went in her shoulder and out her lower, opposite side. She ran about 30 yards and went down. I couldn't have been happier if I had shot a big buck. My primary goal this firearm season was to take a deer with this beautiful, custom ML. Thanks to my Dad, and to my neighbor for allowing me to hunt his property with him.

Attachments

• Doe With .54 12-1-22.jpg
    Doe With .54 12-1-22.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 0
My father had this rifle made over 40 years ago, and it had never been fired until last year when he gave it to me and I started shooting it. I took it with me last season a few times but never had a shot at anything. Finally, today was the day. After filing down the front sight about 1/5" I had it dead on at 50 yards. This morning in N IL was a perfect morning- about 20 degrees, and virtually no wind. I saw four deer at about 100 yards through some brush about a half hour after light, then another three about 30 minutes after that following the same trail. At that point I decided to move off the hillside I was hunting on and cut the distance in half. I climbed up in one of the stands on the property and had a doe and her fawn come in around 9:00 AM. She was headed right at me, but fortunately there was a big tree she walked behind, so I had the opportunity to fully cock the hammer without her looking at me when the hammer clicked. Ended up taking what ended up being a perfect shot when she was approximately 40 yards away. She was slightly quartering to- my round ball went in her shoulder and out her lower, opposite side. She ran about 30 yards and went down. I couldn't have been happier if I had shot a big buck. My primary goal this firearm season was to take a deer with this beautiful, custom ML. Thanks to my Dad, and to my neighbor for allowing me to hunt his property with him.
Congrats! Awesome hunt too. Great to finally put a notch in that smoker. .:lewis:

Mission accomplished you two. Nice work! Congrats.

Nice looking gun and deer! Enjoy!

Ya done good and nice neighbors and having your dads gun makes it great!!!!!!!!!/Ed

He got remarried and fell out of competitive muzzleloading, and didn't even hunt for a few years. And then when he got back into hunting he used his Traditions Hawken (I think), and at that point I think he didn't want to bust it up out in the v woods and the weather...40 years later he just didn't really care. He still turkey hunts but he said he will probably never deer hunt again. And the only thing he target shoots with now are his pistols and small caliber air rifles. He gave me all the ML's, centerfire rifles, and shotguns. I can handle that, though I miss hunting with him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back