we called 'em in...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit the woods between rains with @Ninering62 again this morning. He was able to call in some birds again, we ended up with 15+ turkeys 5 to 20 yards away from us.

No definite beards, saw a few tufts in the right spot, guess you could call 'em 5 oclock shadows..... Gonna do one last try tomorrow
It was turkey hunting at its finest. Exactly what makes it so addicting. An awesome - up close & personal " encounter with a pretty large group of birds. What was very frustrating is that in the whole group were this yrs Jakes, I didn't see any grey heads or gobblers. There were a cpl that clearly did have little tufts of the beginning of a beard on them. I'm pretty sure that that makes them a legal bird. I had several other birds communicating with me, but they would not come into the corner where my decoys were set up. This group pops up about an hr after the last bird stopped talking. Then it was birds all over us, walking right up to us - 5 yds away. They split into 3 groups eventually. The experience of what we had this morn, is why I fell in love with turkey hunting so long ago myself. It is really cool to do it with you & teach you, & at least now you know that I really can call-em in. Lets hope that tomorrow morn a nice beard dragger or two shows up, there are some true " Trophy birds " around here.

Welp, we heard 'em again this morning and called in a few but they came in and left so quick I couldn't get a ID on a legal bird between their moving and the brush and ground in the way (small ridge, saw from neck up...)

Can't wait for March 18

View attachment 29630
Them birds came through in the fog & prob 30yds away, there was no time for anyone to have made the determination on legal shooter bird & actually gotten a shot off, before they were all gone right back out of sight. But thats the excitement of turkey hunting. It really was fantastic to spend the last 2 days of our season hunting with you. I really enjoyed the time in the woods with good company & it was great seeing all the birds & seriously up close too. I'm sorry that you weren't able to bag one or two of them, but ya can't complain about the whole experience, we had fun, building memories. Spring season will be here before we know it & we'll be right back at it again, only then I'm bringin a gun too.

Back