What did I do wrong??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
I was at the range Sunday with my Savage... I took about 20 shots. I disassembled for cleaning, just because I wanted to see how dirty everything really got. Breech plug extraction was very easy, however my vent liner is seized in the breech plug. I used a 3/32 hex key and it stripped right out. When I installed the vent liner I did NOT overly torque it. I'm assuming I'll have to either drill it out or just replace the breech plug.
Also, while I'm on the subject of tightening, does anyone know the proper torque values for stock Savage ML-II action screws?

Jim,

I don't know that you did anything "wrong." The factory Savage ventliners are soft, and you need to coat the threads and the base of the screw with Mil-Spec 907E Never-Seize-- not sure what you used.

The Kleenbore TW25B is worthless; at least to me. Either Blue Moly or Birchwood-Casey Choke tube lube does the trick.

Lubing a ventliner is the opposite of what many might find intuitive-- if it sticks, it will stick from the flat head screw side not the end of the threads, as that it what gets blasted with heat. It is the threads by the head of the screw, and the area around the screw that really matters.

15 in / lbs. is what Henry Ball suggests-- more people overtorque than anything.

OK that makes sense... What should I do for extraction? Drill out and use an "easy-out" or just replace breech plug?

Just drill it out.

A spare breechplug does make good sense, for convenience if nothing else. I always have one drilled out, ventliner lubed, ready to slip in-- so I can swap breechplugs in a hurry or at the range in a hurry and not have to drill one out.

They don't particularly generously lube the ventliners at the factory, and all 10ML-II's are test-fired and proof-tested before they are shipped.

It is not unusual for a new owner to just run to the range and blaze away, without lubing ventliner or breechplug first. When that is done, the chances of sticking a ventliner are pretty good-- I've had new 10ML-II's that I came very, very close to rounding out the ventliners on before ever firing them.

One quick note here, I tap the short end of the allen wrench into the ventliner (socket hole) with my small breech plug tool, to make sure the allen wrench get a good (bite), and I have never had to drill on out since then. I'am also using RWs ventliners which are harder to strip out, Ray

Yep, very good tip, Ray. The factory ventliners are a fairly sloppy allenhead fit. :?

Sorry, Jim-- from Savage is the way.

I don't have any spare breechplugs here, but I probably should bring a 1/2 dozen in.

Be sure to take a q-tip with anti-seize and run into the threads of the ventliner hole cause if you only put it on the ventliner then as you screw it into the breechplug there won't be any grease half way up the threads which could cause it to seize. :wink:

dwhunter said:
Be sure to take a q-tip with anti-seize and run into the threads of the ventliner hole cause if you only put it on the ventliner then as you screw it into the breechplug there won't be any grease half way up the threads which could cause it to seize. :wink:

Thanks Darrell... I will do!!

I also have a breech plug with a stripped out vent liner in it. It had about the same number of shots on it. I think I did not have enough lube on it. I use the blue moly now, no troubles so far.

Hey Guys,
Same thing has happened to me with my Factory Vent liner (15 shots and liberally lubed). I received Randy's ventliners in the mail and went to replace the factory one and stripped it.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you "drill-out" the siezed vent liner? Is this something a machinist would do or can I do it myself?

DeerNut said:
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you "drill-out" the siezed vent liner? Is this something a machinist would do or can I do it myself?

You can sandwich the breechplug between two pieces of wood to protect and put it in a vise, then use a easy out to remove it. I would soak it in a penatrating oil first for at least 24 hrs. to several days before I tried this.

You can sandwich the breechplug between two pieces of wood to protect and put it in a vise, then use a easy out to remove it. I would soak it in a penatrating oil first for at least 24 hrs. to several days before I tried this.

Great, that's what I'll do!

Maybe this should be added to the trouble shooting section since it seems to be a common problem with the savage breechplug/ventliner?

DeerNut said:
Maybe this should be added to the trouble shooting section since it seems to be a common problem with the savage breechplug/ventliner?

Isnt that the truth. Savage needs to work a deal with RW and get some good Ventliners.

This has been moved to the troubleshooting forum. I left a shadow for reference in the Smokeless board.

Grouse said:
DeerNut said:

Isnt that the truth. Savage needs to work a deal with RW and get some good Ventliners.

It actually isn't that common of a problem at all. The vast majority are guns that are shot out of the box, without properly servicing the breechplug-- that you should do with all inlines.

After a gun has been shot, and an R & R on the ventliner performed just once, there is enough carbon film to make future ventliner sticking rare-- even if marginally lubed.

Excuse my ignorance, but just what exactly is ment by R&Ring a vent liner?

Back