What should I plant in my Michigan deer plot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach.trumble

Reaction score
I'm in Michigan and want to plan for some food plots for 2017 season.

I'm in agricultural Zone 5B. I want to make my own mix of seed. What is the best thing to plant in Deer food plots to maximize the amount of time the food is available to the deer. In particular I am looking for late-season crops that will provide deer with food after agricultural crops have been harvested for late-season muzzleloader hunts about this time of year next year.

Does anyone have any good resources on preparing food plots? There's an overwhelming amount of information available on the web so it's hard to sift through. I am an avid Gardener so so I am very familiar with growing things.

I have access to light agricultural equipment like a moldboard plow, 54" rototiller, and cultipacker.

What should I plant?

Thank you for your time

Re: What should I plant in my Michigan deer plot?

Turnips , Buck Forage Oats , Soybeans and leave them Standing, Corn bush hog Off

Ask Ted Nugent, he's big on planting food plots over there. :wink: But all kidding aside, you can't go wrong with turnups.

Whitetail institute
Wintergeeens but gonna take decent size plot

Your biggest problem will be to keep them out of it long enough for it to mature and last. If you're in the GR area, weather this time of year will make a difference too.

Turnups and Id plant beans and leave em standing with a wire fence around them..

Sugar Beets and Carrots. We hunted a place out from Gladwin that's what the farmer raised. Always covered up in deer, so many he got a lot of block permits to thin them out each year. The deer seem to love the beet tops a lot, carrots never stood a chance.

Back