What twist rate for 50 cal smokeless?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

someguy2800

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking to get a barrel blank to build a 50 cal smokeless muzzleloader. I intend to exclusively shoot sabots from 250-300 grains at moderate velocities, like 2200 fps. What kind of twist rate would be best for this?

Be shooting a 22 and a 20 probably by the 1st of the year maybe sooner just as my conclusions with 45 Cal came to the 18th twist and it's versatility, I believe in 50 that the most versatile twist is going to be 20 or 22 but I have to prove that, I believe the fast twist 50 cal is going to solve a lot of my own struggle with 44 cal bullets in the green sabots,, between what is available in 452 and 429 and 458 bullets the choices will be endless and I'm not even considering those Fury 50 cal bullets and other such as Hawk I want to be able to shoot all of the standard 250 grain bullets that we shoot in Black Harvesters off the shelf into less than an inch preferably around a half inch or less and I want to be able to shoot up to a 400 grain Fury or Northern Precision 452 bullet in plastic there are some excellent 458 bullets also my plans are once I find that sweet spot in the twist to turn around and put together another three or four rifles again I don't accept the results of one rifle whether it's mine or someone else's I hope El Diablo and others join me the next few years come on let's make things better!

Thanks. Is a 50 cal muzzleloader typically .500” groove diameter like a 500 S&W, or .510” like a 50 bmg or 50-90 sharps?

Hey guys, I am looking to get a barrel blank to build a 50 cal smokeless muzzleloader. I intend to exclusively shoot sabots from 250-300 grains at moderate velocities, like 2200 fps. What kind of twist rate would be best for this?
I chose a 1 in 22 twist for mine. The 26” barrel gets me 2250 fps with 300 gr XTP bullets with 63grs of RL-7 powder. I don’t think I would go with a faster twist with sabots.
I would have went with a .45 barrel except when I am I am obligated to use a .50 to hunt moose.

Back