What would you do?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easiest way to determine where to cut off a leg is to start with the rear legs. At the joint, squeeze with your thumb along the back of the joint. You will feel an indentation about as wide as your thumb. Center the initial cut in this location and work your way around the joint. Once you have cut this area, break the joint sideways across your knee. With a sharp pointy knife poke around in the joint to cut the remaining tendons and ligaments.

By the time you have removed both rear legs the front legs should be pretty simple. Flex the joint, locate the center, cut, break sideways and then cut the remaining ligaments and tendons

A pack frame is not necessary if you bone out the meat using the gutless method. Theree ar many videos about the gutless method on the web. I have a $20 gun show pack that works great. The meat conforms to your back. Carrying bones is for young guys with more energy than me. If you get in shape by walking with a pack, the straps won't hurt as much. Just fill the pack to a comfortable level, and make as many trips as needed.

I traded my saw for a filet knife, and it works very well. I carry more than one knife.

When I hung my first buck up in the basement and started drinking while butchering, I learned that you can't really mess up meat. In general, the higher on the animal the better the meat. It doesn't really matter how you cut it. I always keep the tenderloin and backstrap in a separate plastic bag. Put a leg over your shoulder and cut along the leg bone. Even in 75° weather, the meat will cool overnight. Leave the bags in different locations and not in the bottom of the canyon. Animals roam the bottoms. In all the years I've left meat overnight, I had one packrat eat a little, and a fox eat a little. Once, when I wasn't able to locate the elk in the dark, a bear found it before I did and ate a bit of one ham. I was very watchful while butchering.

Back