Opening day SKUNK

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had to be pretty tuned up last night bc I set my alarm on my phone at 4pm instead of am. So I was an hr late getting up, now I'm in a big hurry.
No time for breakfast, guzzlin my coffee like a fiend, takin care of a few things that I'd completely forgotten about......and out the back door I go.
I make it up in the tree at 6:45 - a good 30-45min late for my preference. BUt, no matter..... Its opening day of muzzleloader season & nuthins gonna get me down.
If ZI was turkey hunting today, I could have filled 15yrs worth of tags today. Not a single deer or anything else until I got down at 5:40 & headed back to the house.
If I'd have had t drive an hr or more to get to where I hunt, then walk a good ways, I'd have been totally hosed for hunting this morn.
I did manage to remember to turn my phone on silent mode, but more bonehead points bc I didn't fix my error with the alarm.....and at 4pm it went off - letting everything within a cpl hundred yards know theres an idiot out here. Goot thing I loaded up on snacks this morn. My big fanny pack on my utility belt looks like I'd been trick or treating.
The skeeters were terrible in the early morn, then some breeze picked up & they weren't bad after that & it helped keep it semi cool too. I could have hunted in shorts & teeshirt today.
Still, a wonderful day to be back up in my self climber with my trusty ole Accura again. I just got that to group well enough to hunt with 2 days ago. I got a cpl 24pks of the 195g .40 Barnes Expanders.
I can't wait to put one thru a deer this yr.. Hopefully I'm not hurting too bad to drag my butt back out in the morning & if I don't see anything again, I'll spend the rest of the afternoon relocating.
I passed on a friends wedding today. I told him that if he wanted me there, he shouldn't have planned it on opening day of early muzzleloader season. I'd miss my own wedding for that.

I had to be pretty tuned up last night bc I set my alarm on my phone at 4pm instead of am. So I was an hr late getting up, now I'm in a big hurry.
No time for breakfast, guzzlin my coffee like a fiend, takin care of a few things that I'd completely forgotten about......and out the back door I go.
I make it up in the tree at 6:45 - a good 30-45min late for my preference. BUt, no matter..... Its opening day of muzzleloader season & nuthins gonna get me down.
If ZI was turkey hunting today, I could have filled 15yrs worth of tags today. Not a single deer or anything else until I got down at 5:40 & headed back to the house.
If I'd have had t drive an hr or more to get to where I hunt, then walk a good ways, I'd have been totally hosed for hunting this morn.
I did manage to remember to turn my phone on silent mode, but more bonehead points bc I didn't fix my error with the alarm.....and at 4pm it went off - letting everything within a cpl hundred yards know theres an idiot out here. Goot thing I loaded up on snacks this morn. My big fanny pack on my utility belt looks like I'd been trick or treating.
The skeeters were terrible in the early morn, then some breeze picked up & they weren't bad after that & it helped keep it semi cool too. I could have hunted in shorts & teeshirt today.
Still, a wonderful day to be back up in my self climber with my trusty ole Accura again. I just got that to group well enough to hunt with 2 days ago. I got a cpl 24pks of the 195g .40 Barnes Expanders.
I can't wait to put one thru a deer this yr.. Hopefully I'm not hurting too bad to drag my butt back out in the morning & if I don't see anything again, I'll spend the rest of the afternoon relocating.
I passed on a friends wedding today. I told him that if he wanted me there, he shouldn't have planned it on opening day of early muzzleloader season. I'd miss my own wedding for that.

That sounds just like my opening day last month for muzzies here in NC ,and remarkable like openg day rifle here minus alarm clock issue. Still bringing my Optima up the tree with me ,maybe next time will be the Elites turn for change of luck . A 12 hr day in the woods is much harder this year at 76 Im feeling it more and a followup hunt the next morning is iffy.

That sounds just like my opening day last month for muzzies here in NC ,and remarkable like openg day rifle here minus alarm clock issue. Still bringing my Optima up the tree with me ,maybe next time will be the Elites turn for change of luck . A 12 hr day in the woods is much harder this year at 76 Im feeling it more and a followup hunt the next morning is iffy.
Damn, sorry to hear about the double Skunk. I’m sure you enjoy your time in the woods & up in a stand as much as I do, regardless of whether I see or shoot anything. It was still a wonderful day in the woods. It’s incredible that at 76 you’re still gettin it done. I just turned 61 & im barely kinda sorts gettin it done…. sometimes & then I’m gonna pay for it for a few days afterwards. But I’m ok with that. Better luck next time out.

It's good that you got into the woods. Can't shoot anything sitting on the couch.
Oooh yes I can too! lol
I'm fortunate to once again live where I absolutely CAN - " couch hunt ". I've shot deer, turkeys & armadillos from standing in the fam rm doorway to the porch. I've lived in a few places where that was " normal ". I've even lived in a place where I could fish out the living rm window, right from the couch, while watching OLN on TV. But with the 2 new houses that got built on 2 sides of us, which screwed up a good bedding & birthing area I don't see many deer crossing the property now. Thats fun & all, but its not " hunting ". I appreciate being able to do stuff like that, but I genuinely love hunting & just being in the woods & the challenge & the thrill of the hunt. That is what still gets me off of the couch & up in my treestand.

If a deer should be in the right spot @Ninering62 cerainly could

Happened to him last year or yr before IIRC
BOTH! I've shot deer from standing in the fam rm doorway or sitting on the porch steps drinkin coffee for the last 4yrs. Shooting turkeys out the doorway or off the porch is not uncommon either. Hashtag #Country Livin

So you shot game from the doorway. Couldn't get the couch in front of the doorway? 😆
LMAO. Yes, I actually had to get up off of the couch & walk alllll the way across the room, open the door & stick the gun out the doorway. Life is hard & I've just accepted that fact. LMAO
I had to actually put my coffee down on 2 occasions to shoot out the door. The struggle is real dude.

Back