What you having tonite?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
This just came out at 115F and tented USDA Prime standing rib roast. Cost me a stinking fortune too. :p
Resting until it hits 120F and starts to fall
zLlklYN.jpg

Tater bake. Hash brown shreds with cheddar cheese, sour cream and green onion. Topped with fried onions
jT0KVFb.jpg

QDsJa5I.jpg

Salad of romaine and baby greens with Caesar dressing and fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano . Baugette loaf with garlic butter.

I didn’t cook yesterday but I’m cooking a belated Christmas rib today. I hope it comes out like usual with my daughter complaining that it’s too rare, but once she gets a slice on the plate “it’s perfect “
Resting in cold oven to get the chill out. 14 lb - 7 bone, bones removed and tied back and coated with kosher salt and coarse pepper, garlic pieces inserted.

Attachments

• D6B6CFAB-EB4C-4355-AD72-4F9678582A73.jpeg
    D6B6CFAB-EB4C-4355-AD72-4F9678582A73.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 5
  • B9EBC9B5-B402-4F3E-B1A7-117C590ED2F6.jpeg
    B9EBC9B5-B402-4F3E-B1A7-117C590ED2F6.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 4
I gained a few pounds just walking through our kitchen on Christmas eve. My bride of 18+ years loves to cook and makes it difficult for me to diet as I hate to hurt her feelings by not eating enough LOL. Spiral cut Honey Ham, sweet potato casserole with brown sugar, Walnuts and marshmallows on top. Green bean casserole, Fruit salad, Smashed taters and great gravy, Dinner rolls and Keystone Lite. Football on the tube, most highways closed due to blowing snow and low visibility = no guests and we get to eat it ALL! No mail and major arteries closed again today, Monday, with more snow forecast. Hard on me checking traps but keeps the unwanted from living here in S/C Wyo @ 7,300'..Trader

I LOVE smoked salmon
I grew up on the Chesapeake bay & eating fish from the bay & ocean. Salmon is one fish Ive never liked at all along with mackerel & bluefish. I've gone to NY state to salmon fish in the Salmon River a handful of times with a group of guys I hunted, fished & shot trap with. I gave every single one I caught away gladly.

Salmon quality can vary a huge amount on species. The better salmon has a higher fat content such as Sockeye, Kings and Coho. Pink salmon is not even in the same ballpark as wild caught sockeye.

As far as salt vs fresh, well cant say but ive had salt water Steelhead and it blows fresh water Rainbow trout away in flavor.

Salmon quality can vary a huge amount on species. The better salmon has a higher fat content such as Sockeye, Kings and Coho. Pink salmon is not even in the same ballpark as wild caught sockeye.

As far as salt vs fresh, well cant say but ive had salt water Steelhead and it blows fresh water Rainbow trout away in flavor.

All the salmon/trout that have been planted here have quite a different taste pre spawn as opposed to after their physiology turns to the process of spawning. For me, once they turn dark, it's smoker only. Once they are in the river, I turn them loose. In the GL's coho/silver salmon IMO are by far the best eating salmon. Lake run browns are my favorite salmon/trout. Any steelhead from the lake over 3 lbs goes in the smoker. Same with lake trout, over 3lbs, in the smoker.

I grew up on the Chesapeake bay & eating fish from the bay & ocean. Salmon is one fish Ive never liked at all along with mackerel & bluefish. I've gone to NY state to salmon fish in the Salmon River a handful of times with a group of guys I hunted, fished & shot trap with. I gave every single one I caught away gladly.
Those fish are half dead once the come in the river. The meat turns to white mush and tastes like s@#t. A fresh spring 2lb coho would give you a much different opinion.

Ive only had sockeye from salt water catches. Its by far my favorite salmon. Very high fat content. Steelhead are nothing more than a coastal rainbow trout. Ive eaten many rainbow here from our streams and they dont compare well at all. Browns and cutthroat though even large ones over 24" are very tasty.

One of my favorites for smoking salmon or steelhead is a slightly spicy teriyaki marinade first. I got these a little too hot but they were still great.
p2UKLtA.jpg

Latest posts

Back