Whats the shortest you would go? New bolt gun build.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta say I would be pretty nervous having my head next to the barrel. Better make darn sure you don't double load that one!
Everything fun has some risk. I accept the risks and do my part to reduce them. The rest is not up to me.
As a great philosopher once said…. “hold my beer”…

Gotta say I would be pretty nervous having my head next to the barrel. Better make darn sure you don't double load that one!

Well considering that the various companies have made many thousands of bull pup guns and none of them have blown up on anyone yet, then it is a pretty safe bet that a black powder muzzle loader setup as a bull pup would be reasonably safe. Of course nothing is really all that certain. It would have to be a bolt gun or inline as a side lock gun would not be good. The flash hole needs to be covered up somehow so there isn’t any gasses or unburnt powder flying out into your face.

I had one of those bull pups from prairie arms..sold it to a member here..it was fun to shoot and very easy to handle. Just wasn’t my thing I suppose, but as for a longer range yet short profile smokeless setup..the omega platform if hard to beat. Next up would be a break action of some kind. Not that a bolt gun couldn’t be cut down. I am Sure a 20-22” barreled bolt gun would be plenty sufficient

I’ve also picked up an old Knight .45 original disc that the previous owner cut down for some reason. It’s blued and fluted, and they cut the muzzle off back into the fluting. Looks terrible and I'm not sure how much was removed(3”?) or what I'm going to do with it yet. Originally thinking pistol but bullpup is a possibility. One of my Omegas is now a 20” carbine.

Last edited:
For a short handy gun it's hard to beat a break open. I have a Savage bolt action 458 SML and an NEF break open 458 SML. They both have 20 inch barrels yet the break open NEF is about 4 inches shorter.

Weren't the original 700ml's pretty short? 22", or there roundsabout.
And the Ruger 77/50 was slightly shorter, but was absolutely the handiest woods rifle.
I know the conversation was for a smokeless build...just bringing us some relatively short factory offerings as comparison.

They made these barrels in both lengths in all 3 calibers I believe. I did measure from the receiver's face to the muzzle

They made these barrels in both lengths in all 3 calibers I believe. I did measure from the receiver's face to the muzzle
I often wondered how well they measured those lengths. Here are 2 almost identical Remmy 700ml's. I know I didn't line them up on a toe line, et cetera...looks like 2" difference, or there roundsabout. Factory barrels, of course.

Back