White Super 91 .451

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HoytFlinger said:
Yep, slightly grey and flexible. I thought it may have been delrin.
That is delrin . Good for conicals but not so good for sabots . Aluminum is better for sabots . If you stick with them big missiles you are going to make it will be a good rod
If not i have an aluminum rod i can trade you

1874sharpsshooter said:
HoytFlinger said:
Yep, slightly grey and flexible. I thought it may have been delrin.
That is delrin . Good for conicals but not so good for sabots . Aluminum is better for sabots . If you stick with them big missiles you are going to make it will be a good rod
If not i have an aluminum rod i can trade you

This rifle will never see a sabot. Will be shooting my big uglies after I shoot up the No Excuses that I have. I appreciate the gesture, but I like the one you sent with it. I thought it was a genius of an idea to have the round end for conical loading. Don't know if that was the intent of it, but sure looks like it will be good for them.

I've recently modified a breech plug for a White - owner said you can't get them anymore. It was slightly different than what's pictured. If did not have a pull on the rear of the action, just a threaded round knurled knob.
What surprised me was that it was very similar to a Knight plunger in many respects.
With that said, how is the blow back on these?

Speaking of ramrods on this post, I like flat tips on my loading rod - all I shoot are conicals and their is no chance of catching any part of the ojive.

The Super 91's have the pull cock as pictured above. The G series Whites have the screw in cap on the end of the receiver with pull cock lever on the side, Whitetail, M97, Bison, Lightning and also the BG series shotguns. There is some blowback as with most open breech plunger guns. I can live with the blowback for the accuracy. My 91's are black iced so the blowback only effects the under scope, which is covered with tape.

No blow back on my thunderbolt!!!! Minimum on my super 91-11...

Isn't knight and a copy right what started the down fall of white or am I thinking of something else

sbuff said:

Isn't knight and a copy right what started the down fall of white or am I thinking of something else
That is correct . I guess after White cleaned their clock and ended their dominance at the Manufacturers match in friendship Knight was mad enough to sue them for copyright infringement :mrgreen:

nah, that plunger type action is older than either white or knight, they didnt invent it, they just built on that style. The plunger action I built the .36 on was available since the 60's sometime, and Im pretty sure the concept is much older.

Alright, I'm going to show my ignorance here on White rifles, but how do you remove the hammer assembly to get the breech plug out?

1874sharpsshooter said:
sbuff said:

That is correct . I guess after White cleaned their clock and ended their dominance at the Manufacturers match in friendship Knight was mad enough to sue them for copyright infringement :mrgreen:

The rifles used by the White team in Friendship had the barrels changed to .38 caliber. This was not done by Doc White but by fellows on the team.

It will be much easier if you pull the hammer back so the spring is compressed, then remove the screw on the side an push down an out. The hammer assembly will then unscrew for cleaning, watch the spring it will fly by itself... When installing the hammer assembly do it the same way with the hammer back, much easier! :yeah:

I got this backwards and wanted to correct myself, after a year of not loading the rifle I forgot, but remembered real quick today.

If you dont have a vice, just lay it in the driveway and park a truck on it. Then get an assortment of chisels and punches (your bound to break at least a few)and a 5# or more maul. Just keep beating it till your dizzy from the workout. You may have to pause sporadically to regain normal breathing. I dont think they are supposed to come out, as every gun Ive done this to was rendered useless from the procedure. This mystery will require more research, but its been put on hiatus awaiting funds for a new test subject. :partyman:

Squeeze said:
If you dont have a vice, just lay it in the driveway and park a truck on it. Then get an assortment of chisels and punches (your bound to break at least a few)and a 5# or more maul. Just keep beating it till your dizzy from the workout. You may have to pause sporadically to regain normal breathing. I dont think they are supposed to come out, as every gun Ive done this to was rendered useless from the procedure. This mystery will require more research, but its been put on hiatus awaiting funds for a new test subject. :partyman:

It took me all of about 45 seconds to do.

I sent my mold to Ed as I don't have everything to cast with yet. Ed is a hell of a guy and made the bullets above for me with my mold. They weigh around 522 grains and are 1.3" long. Thanks again Ed! I just made a batch of a modified Emmert's lube to pan lube the rest of the bullets. The lube looks just like SPG and is 50% white beeswax, 40% crisco, 5% anhydrous lanolin, and 5% clear jojoba oil.

Latest posts

Back