Wind and gusts..........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Its said that,,,,,,,,,,,,, 'If one doesn't shoot in the wind regardless, what's the use of shooting at all?'

Although windy with gusts, I headed to the club to shoot the Fury 400gr and Northern Precision 400gr bullets for Mnt monkey at distance. Not ideal but shooting in the wind is a learning experience for both hunting and target shooting.

I pulled the conditions after I got home. The club range is right next to the airport, so the conditions at the time I pulled them are 100% accurate.

Weather conditions while shooting..jpg

Charge today was 120grs VOLUME of BH209. 10 drops and average of all 10 in actual weight used. Lot#39

Home made drop tube worked perfectly. Never dropped a kernel of propellant in that wind and gusts :)

Velocity of both bullets is 2,100fps

.060" veggie wad

Arrowhead ignition w/modules

Primers are Federal 215M Match

Atlas bipod with solid rear rest.

Only the vertical turret was used for elevation changes per JBM.

They put in new concrete benches at the club, so that's ROCK solid.

New benches at Alpena Sportsman's Club.jpg

There was no known BC for either bullet, which meant I needed to use a program to estimate the BC of each. After an estimated BC was determined, I ran it through JBM for an estimated MOA drop.
The Fury's estimated BC I used was .362. The Northern Precision bullet's estimated BC was .377. Again, both at 2,100fps.

Actual drops with the Fury were much less, meaning the BC I used was too low. The BC for the NP bullet was dead on. Those who may use the NP bullet in the future should write that down.
I'll determine the actual BC of the Fury by reverse math. The Fury, with the same identical dope as the NP, was the flatter shooting of the two.

Ranges shot were 200, 300 & 400yds. I'm posting the 300yd & 400yd targets. Again, no scope adjustments whatsoever, short of using the dope chart from JBM for drop.

Fury 300yds.jpg

Northern Precision 300yds.jpg

Fury 400yds.jpg

I have no clue why, but at 400yds the Northern Precision bullet did not hit the target or the backstop.
No settings of any kind were changed.

Northern Precision 400yds  Did not hit target or backstop.jpg

Next time I go to the club's range it will be on a calm day to try and tighten the groups and to shoot both bullets further to 500 and 600yds. I will use separate targets for each bullet with larger cardboard backers.
Mnt monkey asked that when doing so, that I also shoot a group with the 350gr XLDs too.

Fury bullet with a 100yd zero:
Actual drops

200yds......... up 1.5moa
300yds......... up 5.5moa
400yds......... up 13.5moa

NP with 100yd zero:
Actual drops

200yds........ up 3.5moa
300yds........ up 8.5moa
400yds........................................ UNKNOWN.

Its said that,,,,,,,,,,,,, 'If one doesn't shoot in the wind regardless, what's the use of shooting at all?'

Although windy with gusts, I headed to the club to shoot the Fury 400gr and Northern Precision 400gr bullets for Mnt monkey at distance. Not ideal but shooting in the wind is a learning experience for both hunting and target shooting.

I pulled the conditions after I got home. The club range is right next to the airport, so the conditions at the time I pulled them are 100% accurate.

View attachment 36449

Charge today was 120grs VOLUME of BH209. 10 drops and average of all 10 in actual weight used. Lot#39

Home made drop tube worked perfectly. Never dropped a kernel of propellant in that wind and gusts :)

Velocity of both bullets is 2,100fps

.060" veggie wad

Arrowhead ignition w/modules

Primers are Federal 215M Match

Atlas bipod with solid rear rest.

Only the vertical turret was used for elevation changes per JBM.

They put in new concrete benches at the club, so that's ROCK solid.

View attachment 36450

There was no known BC for either bullet, which meant I needed to use a program to estimate the BC of each. After an estimated BC was determined, I ran it through JBM for an estimated MOA drop.
The Fury's estimated BC I used was .362. The Northern Precision bullet's estimated BC was .377. Again, both at 2,100fps.

Actual drops with the Fury were much less, meaning the BC I used was too low. The BC for the NP bullet was dead on. Those who may use the NP bullet in the future should write that down.
I'll determine the actual BC of the Fury by reverse math. The Fury, with the same identical dope as the NP, was the flatter shooting of the two.

Ranges shot were 200, 300 & 400yds. I'm posting the 300yd & 400yd targets. Again, no scope adjustments whatsoever, short of using the dope chart from JBM for drop.

View attachment 36451

View attachment 36452

View attachment 36453

I have no clue why, but at 400yds the Northern Precision bullet did not hit the target or the backstop.
No settings of any kind were changed.

View attachment 36454

Next time I go to the club's range it will be on a calm day to try and tighten the groups and to shoot both bullets further to 500 and 600yds. I will use separate targets for each bullet with larger cardboard backers.
Mnt monkey asked that when doing so, that I also shoot a group with the 350gr XLDs too.

Fury bullet with a 100yd zero:
Actual drops

200yds......... up 1.5moa
300yds......... up 5.5moa
400yds......... up 13.5moa

NP with 100yd zero:
Actual drops

200yds........ up 3.5moa
300yds........ up 8.5moa
400yds........................................ UNKNOWN.
I always use the "official" wind forecast as just an estimate. Your wind direction was forecast as from the northeast. I would expect the "average" would be from the northeast but in reality the wind could vary from directly north to directly east for short periods. The wind speeds can be above or below the forecast speed for short periods by at least 2-3 MPH. maybe more in gusts. One of my squadmates is a private pilot and gets the forecast that pilots NEED to know since their lives depend on it. Yesterday at the mid-range Regional Championship at Cadillac Mi. the winds were supposed to pick up to 11-16 MPH by 11:00am. Wrong. winds 2-5 MPH until 1:00 when it started raining. Saturday the winds were forcast as being in the low single digits. Wrong again. When I get to the range I know what the weather is SUPPOSED to be then just adapt to the local conditions at the range. X

I always use the "official" wind forecast as just an estimate. Your wind direction was forecast as from the northeast. I would expect the "average" would be from the northeast but in reality the wind could vary from directly north to directly east for short periods. The wind speeds can be above or below the forecast speed for short periods by at least 2-3 MPH. maybe more in gusts. One of my squadmates is a private pilot and gets the forecast that pilots NEED to know since their lives depend on it. Yesterday at the mid-range Regional Championship at Cadillac Mi. the winds were supposed to pick up to 11-16 MPH by 11:00am. Wrong. winds 2-5 MPH until 1:00 when it started raining. Saturday the winds were forcast as being in the low single digits. Wrong again. When I get to the range I know what the weather is SUPPOSED to be then just adapt to the local conditions at the range. X
Up here, its primary NW winds. Because of how the club's range is laid out, the wind will swirl and change directions considerably. I live right in the middle of the woods, so wind, rain, etc. is always different outside of the forest. I've gotten to the club and before I could get everything out of the truck, the wind would go absolutely nuts, where wasting propellant and bullets made no sense.
You should post the shoots at Cadillac prior to the match, not after. ;) Did Bob shoot?

Up here, its primary NW winds. Because of how the club's range is laid out, the wind will swirl and change directions considerably. I live right in the middle of the woods, so wind, rain, etc. is always different outside of the forest. I've gotten to the club and before I could get everything out of the truck, the wind would go absolutely nuts, where wasting propellant and bullets made no sense.
You should post the shoots at Cadillac prior to the match, not after. ;) Did Bob shoot?
I posted flyers on this site for both the mid-range state championship and the mid-range regional championship several months ago. Yes, Bob shot scope class and won a bronze medal but he is having trouble with his eyes. He's having operations on both eyes Sept. 11. We always squad together when he is able to shoot. Our squad took one gold in iron sight class, and a gold and a bronze in scope class. X

thanks for the write up Encore. Odd that you had the dope on the NPs for 300 but apparently way off for 400! I hate it when the shooting gremlins sneak in and cause havoc. Looks like you're going to need a bigger backstop to figure it out.

Fury 400 on the left ,Northern Precision on the right ,I think it's the best bullet Dennis has ever made ,I wish more people would get interested in big jacketed bullets, both of these bullets really are very accurate and there is a lot you can do with them just finished shooting both of them in the 50 cal fast twist project with plastic they did very well,, both of them shot very well smokeless for me as well as with black horn

Attachments

• 20230424_135208.jpg
    20230424_135208.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Back