Remington 700 ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinelander

Reaction score
Have the chance to buy a Rem 700 in a new condition. What do you think of this muzzleloader and is it a good gun with blackhorn? Thanks

They are a very good platform for a custom build. Many people have gotten the "Hunter Bolt" conversion for better 209 primer performance and other future upgrades. In stock form they are not well suited to using BH209 but overall its pretty solid.

High quality aftermarket barrels are also available in 45cal.

Rhinelander said:
Have the chance to buy a Rem 700 in a new condition. What do you think of this muzzleloader and is it a good gun with blackhorn? Thanks

The stock Remington 700ml suffered from major missfires due to blow back.

This has been corrected by the Hunter Bolt nose kit and breech plug from Fred Arnold and others.

My stock Remington 700 ml with BH209 shoots right at a 1 MOA at 100 yards. With other powders it will shoot less than 1 MOA.

The Remington Factory barrels are outstanding for accuracy. They shoot a wide verity of projectiles and weights really well. Ill put mine right up there with the custom barrels.

If your looking to push 3000 FPS you may be better served with a aftermarket barrel. Im still toying with the idea of a custom barrel but waiting to see how things shake out with other barrel manufactures. Im looking for a .50 cal with a sporter taper. No heavier than the factory barrel. Hart shows the most promise at the moment.

My 700ML is a great gun. I had some misfires with #11 caps, but the Canadian 209 conversion kit fixed that problem. I've only used Triple 7 powder in it, and see no reason to switch. Mine is a sub MOA shooter (for three shot groups at 100 yards. I've killed several deer over 100 yards with it, and don't feel handicapped when using it instead of my Remington 700 .30-06.

Keep it clean, including the inside of the bolt, and it will work great.

Almost ANY upgrade part that fits a short action model 700 CF will fit the 700 ML. Like stocks, triggers and a miryad of scope bases etc. No other muzzleloader has as many potential upgrades. There is only one flaw it has and it's the same flaw that is presesnt in most all in-line designed and manufactured in the 1990's as was the 700ML and that is it's slam-fire bolt action. It allows the primer crud and gasses to blow back into the bolt body and coat the firing plunger and spring to the point that it slows lock-time and eventually not fire.
This is corrected with a bolt nose conversion. I use a .32ACP casing with small rifle primers, but Hunter makes a great one that uses 209's. Either one eliminates the problem. This rifle can even be set up to shoot smokeless powder if desired. The only other ML with a faster advertised lock-time is the Savage 10ML. I own 700 ML's in .54; .50 and .45cal. I'm up to 12 now and sold my Savage 10ML. They are that good of a rifle. Be dilligent with your care and cleaning and it will serve you well.

Check out Doug's Message Board and you can get a real-world peek at the possibilities of the Remington 700ML's capabilities. Those fellows have it down to an art form. Good Luck with your decision!

You can PM me as well. I can help you with installation and have a lot of info on the 209 modification for the 700 ML/MLS.

2519660_orig.jpg

1432776396.png

I have one in 50 cal with a bolt nose conversion and a boyds thumbhole stock. The other night I dropped a ram steel target at 500 yards. Very capable gun. I bought it to convert but after shooting it there is no need. I shoot a custom bullet and sabot with 75 grains of black powder.

Back