Captured 270 grain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
P1010086.JPG

P1010088.JPG

P1010084.JPG

P1010085.JPG

P1010081.JPG

271.jpg

272.jpg

P1010082.JPG

THE VIDEO

The stain didn't dry on a cabinet door i was going to install glass into, so i couldn't. Got a notion to try and capture a 270g Deep Curl at 100 yard, and somehow it worked. The bullet was found in the third jug; it had bounced off the phone book stack; the dent is seen in the photo. This morning i measured the velocity of the same bullet, same load, same rifle at 100 yard to be 1634 fps. The front jug was actually at 102 yard.

It sure is pretty isn't it! Take the looks of it, and what i have witnessed the bullet do on deer years past, and i know for positive, how really good this bullet works.

Right or wrong, it seems to me the 270 flat point is softer than the 300g hollow point. Media testing seems to indicate it doesn't penetrate quite as far. Results on deer kinda indicate the same thing. Deer hit with the 270g seem to drop and die right now, even though no major bones are hit i.e. shoulder or spine. Deer hit with the 300g seem to drop and die right now too, so who can tell. Naturally more testing (shooting) is necessary.

Even so at 100yds. that looks to be a pass through on a deer. It could be designed with a thinner jacket or a softer alloy lead to allow better expansion. On the same note the hollow points might have a thicker jacket or a harder alloy lead to control expansion. I was alwaystold to stay away from soft points or flat point since they don't expand well. This proves them all wrong. Good Work.

I can say first hand that at 160yds (using a range finder) on a 150+ lb doe, they do pass through. My dad took a big doe with 130gr 777 pellets and the 270gr Deep Curl. It was a center-high ribs shot, bone in and bone out. The exit hole was about the size of a quarter. Between the 2 of us, we've taken 7-8 deer at ranges between 20yds and 160 yds. None took more than 3 steps and all were pass throughs. Awesome bullet both on paper and on deer.

The stain was just about dry, but the morning was cool with zero breeze, so i went to have some fun...............er do testing.

P1010092.JPG

From 200 yard, one shot was taken at the target, from a cold clean barrel. Then the camera, tripod, water jug, and cereal box were carried up the wee hill, and nearly a gallon of water was dumped into the wax paper in the cereal box, and it was placed so it was stable. Then the camera was placed, and started, and we went out away. Range finder said it was about 220 yard to the water filled cereal box. The rifle was loaded, and we went out the rear of the truck. Using the bipod fully extended, and resting an elbow on the tailgate, a standing shot was taken.

The box was still standing, but it looked different somehow. The light coming off the box looked different as though the box had moved, but it was still there, still standing.

The truck can be seen out away, and the cereal box nearly filled with water. The first shot punched a hole through the box just above the water level.

bran1.jpg

bran2.jpg

One can see the smoke from the rifle; the bullet is in the air heading for the box.

bran3.jpg

Using the bipod, and the tailgate a second time............WHOMP the bullet hit the box, and water flew high in the air. Shooting them cereal boxes is so very very fun.

bran4.jpg

bran5.jpg

The water was in the air for about 1.7 seconds, a bit over 50 frames in the video.

P1010093.JPG

After smucking the box, another shot was taken from 200 yard at the target. The shooter then became a carpenter, and headed to the shop where the glass was installed in the cabinet door, finishing the bookcase.

Ron
Have you captured any of the 300 grn .45 Deep Curls?
I just bought some to try in my knight.
Thanks

I have found that the Hornady Interlock 44/265 flat point has given me the same accuracy as the DC 44/270 & I am interested in finding out how they compare. I am just starting ti shoot some of the Sierra bullets & talked with them the other day. I had picked up some 44/300 soft points. In our conversation they told me NOT to expect much....if any.....expansion on soft tissue shots like double lungs, but that it hits very hard no matter where the impact occurs. Also, pass thru is almost a guarantee no matter the angle or bones. He also said that the 240 JHC would hit almost as hard, possibly not pass thru, but also WOULD destroy more meat. So, this is what I'm playing with right now :)

Re:

Hornet22savage said:
Even so at 100yds. that looks to be a pass through on a deer. It could be designed with a thinner jacket or a softer alloy lead to allow better expansion. On the same note the hollow points might have a thicker jacket or a harder alloy lead to control expansion. I was alwaystold to stay away from soft points or flat point since they don't expand well. This proves them all wrong. Good Work.

Water jugs will make the worst bullet look pretty.

:D

Thanks Ron for some great info an pics. I'm sure you enjoyed your self while doing this project but I bet putting it together wasn't as easy as it looks.
THANKS AGAIN,
Ray.............. :wink:

Re: Re:

Grouse said:
Hornet22savage said:

Water jugs will make the worst bullet look pretty.

I have gotten the same expansion as the bullet 3rd from the left shooting at 50 & 100 yards thru the back stop & into dirt.....wet or dry.

Thank Ron.

I have full confidence in the Speer Deep Curl line. The problem is I can only shoot one or two deer a year and have so many bullets to try.

How does one decide?

LarryBud said:
Thank Ron.

I have full confidence in the Speer Deep Curl line. The problem is I can only shoot one or two deer a year and have so many bullets to try.

How does one decide?

Yep same here. I also have a tough time on which muzzleloader to take now that I have more than one.

Latest posts

Back