Insurance for the White - Advanced Craftsmen Please Ignore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a White Bison with the Myrtle Stock. I love the gun and know they have a reputation for breaking in the throat of the grip. I believe it depends on how the wood grain flows and there's no way to know until you have an issue.

The gun:

IMG_0325.jpg

I put cardboard first, then a towel on the vise. I came at it with a 3/8" drill bit with an extension. I was very concerned I'd miss the angle.

IMG_1008_zps0b435cda.jpg

I had a 3/8" oak dowel which would eventually be cut to size. I inserted the dowel to check my angle.

IMG_1009_zps28a4697d.jpg

I made it through the throat clean and drilled slightly into the stock. This is what I inserted.

IMG_1012_zps203e561e.jpg

The final product waiting to dry. I'll feel much better as I slam the conicals into this gun.

It cleaned up nice with a damp towel. While not a fancy job, I believe it will get the job done.

IMG_1013_zpsf08c6071.jpg

From where i sit, that looks like a real nicely done job. Also, in this case, i believe it was wise to fix something that wasn't 'broke'. You have my admiration.

Great Job!

I probably should have done that to my Thunder. It is Mossy Oak Break-Up camo over painted Myrtle. You are right, you will never know you have a problem, until you have a problem. I think mine has been proof tested enough times with some heavy turkey loads, that I don't think there will ever be a problem.

I have been around and owned Whites since the early to mid-90's, and I only know of two of these myrtle stocks breaking. Both of them were on the Lightnings IIRC, not Thunders or Bisons.

Nevertheless, the hardwood dowel is not only a fix to a problem, it is also very good insurance to help keep it from happening.

I like to look at these type projects not as "fixing something that isn't even broken", but rather as peventative maintenance.

Good looking Bison you have there. Is it a .504, or .540?

Busta said:
Great Job!

I probably should have done that to my Thunder. It is Mossy Oak Break-Up camo over painted Myrtle. You are right, you will never know you have a problem, until you have a problem. I think mine has been proof tested enough times with some heavy turkey loads, that I don't think there will ever be a problem.

I have been around and owned Whites since the early to mid-90's, and I only know of two of these myrtle stocks breaking. Both of them were on the Lightnings IIRC, not Thunders or Bisons.

Nevertheless, the hardwood dowel is not only a fix to a problem, it is also very good insurance to help keep it from happening.

I like to look at these type projects not as "fixing something that isn't even broken", but rather as peventative maintenance.

Good looking Bison you have there. Is it a .504, or .540?

It's a .540 and it out shoots my fancy modern guns. The simplicity is admirable and appealing. I would bed the stock but it would be hard to improve on what it does now. I'm afraid it would just be an exercise to say it's been done.

Back