50 to 32 Caliber Knight Mountaineer Conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colin

I was thinking about a project that Doc White describes on his site where he uses a large ring Mauser action and a modified CF brass as the primer carrier. Easy load & extract.

Really enjoyed this post and the YouTube videos of your other projects too.

+1 on that. Way cool build. :yeah:

I have wondered about building an inline 32 myself. Never thought about doing it this way. Very interesting build. I had also thought that using a 22 bolt action or even a Rem7 action would keep it light but inserting the primer was sort of had me wondering. and thinking about using a small brass case like a shotrened 221 fireball. I was also wondering if you could build one to shoot small lead 32 pistol bullets as a sort of conical. :huh?:

Colin,

One question. Did you turn the end of the "Insert" so that it is recessed into the breech plug or does the plug seat onto the end of the insert? Nice work by the way!

Squeeze,

Is this a PRB rifle?

Omega,

What bullets do you plan for yours?

Thanks guys for posting this.

yep, pretty much for PRB smaller bullet, cheaper, and less damage on small game. ive never seen a sabot under .36 cal. I probobly will try something in a paper patch or conical at one point or another, but from what ive heard its hard to get as good grouping with conical and really no better range. ill have to see how this one does, but with my other .32s grouping at ranges over abt 60 yards drops off again. maybe on a perfect day it could be better, but it seems wind drift really catches such a small projectile at .47 grns or so, it really is abt the same weight as a .22 LR bullet. Ive never shot a conical in a .32 yet, but ive been wanting to..just another thing on the list :p that and a chrono...more toys! more toys! :D

Thanks for the compliments guys.

JStanley said:
Colin
I was thinking about a project that Doc White describes on his site where he uses a large ring Mauser action and a modified CF brass as the primer carrier. Easy load & extract.
The CF Cartridge as a primer was what I was trying to describe earlier, there is at least one company I know of that makes their inlines to use a 45acp brass.

ShawnT said:
+1 on that. Way cool build. :yeah:

Colin,

One question. Did you turn the end of the "Insert" so that it is recessed into the breech plug or does the plug seat onto the end of the insert? Nice work by the way!

The liner is turned down to seat inside the Factory Breechplug, that way all the original parts can be replaced easily without any modification.

You guys must have been glued to your computers the last couple days cause I have like 15+ hours of video on my youtube channel. I'm glad you are enjoying my builds.

Colin

That is some really fine gunsmithing right there. Good dedication to your craft. What does something cost with a donor action? and what other models of knights can that be done on?

Edwardamason said:
That is some really fine gunsmithing right there. Good dedication to your craft. What does something cost with a donor action? and what other models of knights can that be done on?
Thank You.

I prefer not to discuss the pricing publically for a couple reasons, first being that maybe Squeeze(the client that commissioned this doesn't want the world to know what he paid and I respect my clients privacy). Secondly this thread will likely be here for years to come, materials and labor cost will continue to rise with inflation like all things do and I don't want someone to read this at some point down the road and then complain that I am over charging them because I originally did the job for less 10 years ago. Third reason is most forums this one included has rules about commercial advertising and while I do enjoy sharing my craft(that's why I have a blog, a forum and a youtube channel) I respect the rules of the forums I am on.

In theory I can do this to pretty much any rifle, if it's a one piece barrel and action like the Knight Mountaineer then it has to be relined, if it is a separate action and the barrel unscrews or is pinned then it's just a re-barrel job.

Colin

I am so tempted buy and convert the Knight Hawkeye that is in the classifieds. Its a 50cal and ive always wanted a nice ML pistol in 45cal.

Latest posts

Back