10 ML-II

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHunter

Reaction score
Who do you guys recommend for pillar bedding? What else would you recommend as far as custom work on this gun?

HokieHunter said:
Who do you guys recommend for pillar bedding? What else would you recommend as far as custom work on this gun?
How about starting those bullets of with no reserve? :lol: I do not know of anybody except Henry Ball, A lot of guys are doing it themselves.I would recommend the glass bedding and the third pillar.IMO, a must .SavageGunsmithing is a site you might want to check out. I talked to the man awhile back.He is extremely knowledgeble concerning Sav. firearms.

maybe a thumbhole or target laminate stock-, some guys polish the bore (some doesnt need it...) for strictly hunting a full camo job...., a sharp shooter suppy comp. trigger ( not that the accu trigger is bad- the sss for target is smooth) an aftermarket breech plug tool- otherwise leave it as you like it.... Rick

HokieHunter I have set up 3 of these rifles so far. I would highly recommend doing the following, for what it's worth,
1. Read as much as you can concerning this rifle on this forum.
2. Get a rifle with the Laminate stock.
3. Buy an Ez tool.
4. Shoot the rifle with a few loads prior to making a judgement as to whether your rifle will need glass bedding, a 3rd pillar, or any other work. The one rifle I left strictly as is from the factory was the most consistent of the 3 I set up.

Sounds like great advice. I did get the laminate stock. So it doesn't necessarily need the third pillar, eh? I had heard otherwise. I've been strictly an Encore man for awhile, so I'm new to the Savage. I'm pumped though!

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on my Encore, and was thinking of doing the same for this gun, or maybe a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40. Opinions?

I like Zeiss and Leupold myself but you'll get alot various opinions on that. Go with what you want. :wink:

The Zeiss is a dandy, btw I will be in your neck of the woods the last week of March. I will be at the Rodeheaver Boys Ranch in Palatka. Also IMO you may not need a 3rd pillar. The main purpose of the 3rd pillar is to allow you to remove the bolt so you can remove the breech plug, without disturbing how your rifle is torqued into the stock. If you get an EZ tool you can remove the breechplug without removing the bolt.

Isn't the boys ranch down by the Rodman Reservoir, in Palatka?

I'll definitely get the EZ tool, and I'll hold off on the 3rd pillar until I determine that I need it. Thanks!

If you do notice zero changes from R&Ring the bolt or the groups follow a pattern that would indicate the action is squirming a bit in the stock, I would do an epoxy bedding job on the gun before having it fitted with a third pillar. If you get a perfect fit between the stock and the receiver along with the rear face of the recoil lug you might well find the third pillar to be unneeded.

I agree with item #4 on riflemans thread! Shoot the gun and see if you need to do anything at all.Ihave an HB and the tupperware model and that tupperware model out of the box shoots to good to do any type of modifications at all .It is a hunting rifle and my shots have all been around the60 to 150yd range .Concentrate on bullett ,powder , find the right combination and you may be plesently surprised...bompa

See my post on "Bedding the 10ML". I found no change in zero by backing the rear screw out enough to remove the bolt, at least so far. If the action and recoil lug is properly bedded it should not move unless you really crank on it.

just beded my ml1 it is not a hard job just read and follow the instructions with your kit clint

Latest posts

Back