200 SST Performance on buck ????????????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Reaction score
First buck shot with new to me Disc Elite yesterday evening. Deer was at 97 yards slightly quartering to me. Aimed for the heart right in front of right shoulder expecting a pass thru right behind left shoulder. Deer jumped straight up at least ten feet on his hind legs and then I watched him run about 90 yards then lost sight. No blood at impact spot or anywhere on escape trail to be found. Went back this morning and searched and found one sliding track going into massive pine cutover. Headed into cutover following a deer trail and 40 yards in he was laying in a pile of briars. Never a drop of blood. Hit exactly where aimed in heart . The bullet never passed thru. The bullet came apart badly and ended up close to the skin on far side, the recovered pieces weighed about 145 grains. If this bullet would have been bonded would have gotten a pass thru and a blood trail. Fortunate to recover animal as this was a 300 acre cutover 10 feet high he headed into, if he would have gone a little further would have never found him. Looking for a new bullet. It's ashame bullet shoots awesome even out to 200 yards shooting 78 grns weighed fff t7, but can't depend on it. Need something that will hold together and give a blood trail. :D :( :D :( :? Suggestions._____________________________________________

hmmmmmmmm

not too too uncommon on heart shot animals if you blow the heart up just right it quits pumping meaning no blood pumping out just leaking

i have seen it a few times

dad had same issue on a broadside doe with .50 powerbelts right thru the heart perfect no blood until she hit the ground 50-60 yards later

JD

i think i have pic of heart

JD

Jim said:
Shot my first buck yesterday evening with my new disc elite. Deer was at 97 yards slightly quartering to me. Aimed for the heart right in front of right shoulder expecting a pass thru right behind left shoulder. Deer jumped straight up at least ten feet on his hind legs and then I watched him run about 90 yards then lost sight. No blood at impact spot or anywhere on escape trail to be found. Went back this morning and searched and found one sliding track going into massive pine cutover. Headed into cutover following a deer trail and 40 yards in he was laying in a pile of briars. Never a drop of blood. Hit exactly where aimed in heart . The bullet never passed thru. The bullet came apart badly and ended up close to the skin on far side, the recovered pieces weighed about 145 grains. If this bullet would have been bonded would have gotten a pass thru and a blood trail. Fortunate to recover animal as this was a 300 acre cutover 10 feet high he headed into, if he would have gone a little further would have never found him. Looking for a new bullet. It's ashame bullet shoots awesome even out to 200 yards shooting 78 grns weighed fff t7, but can't depend on it. Need something that will hold together and give a blood trail. :D :( :D :( :? Suggestions._____________________________________________

This is my SST/Shockwave story, I'm sticking with them for next year as well!

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... ght=#62359

A dead center heart shot deer is a dead deer without question. Even if you poke a hole through them after, they will often times not bleed too much for a while. Like mentioned no pumping blood anymore, so it is left to gravity and accumulation principles. Some times when you open them up, there will be literally a puddle of blood in the body cavity of them.

Would a bonded have made it through? Good question. That's hard to say. I am surprised the bullet fragmented as much as you report. It had to have hit something solid going through. The question is what?

I have yet to let a deer test a sabot with me. All the deer I shot were with roundball or conical bullets. When I carry sabot rifles I never see a deer. Hope to change all of that next year, but I say that every year.

At least you know the round works, and is very accurate. So that is a plus. Perhaps wait for a broadside shot instead of a frontal. I really do not know what to tell you. Two years ago, I shot a doe with a roundball basically as you did. Except I put the ball through her neck while her head was down, through the brisket, heart, out the back belly, and it broke her rear leg before it disappeared into the woods. So does that mean a roundball is better. NOPE. It just got a lucky path. Once those things get in a deer I have seen some of the hardest to understand bullet paths a person could think up.

I shot 6 deer with the 200 this year and had great performance. All of the shots were complete pass throughs. Furthest any of them went was 40 yards, two went about 20 yards, and three were DRT. All that ran had nice blood trails to follow. What else did the bullet hit besides ribs and the heart?

I have always had complete pass throughs with the 200 gr SST on broadide shots. I naver had them contact any heavy bone.

I have shot 4 or 5 deerand my son several more with the Hornady XTPs all had entry and exit wounds. I did recover one bullet from a doe shot at 18 steps quartering to. When I shot I thought she was more broadside than she was. I aimed as close as I dared to the front shoulder. I actually hit the fleshy muscle on the rear of the front leg the bullet then entered the body cavity and took out a lung and traveled through the liver and exited in the lower abdomin infront of the opposite rear leg. The bullet then entered the lower rear leg and came to rest. I weighed the 300 gr bullet and it still weighed 295 gr and expanded from 45 cal to about 64 caliber in a perfect mushroom. This was a shot using 80 gr of 2f gooex. What amazed me was the stomach was not affected ( whew).

You can guess what I will be using from my knight bighorn for a while.

i find the 200gr SST/Shockwave. a bit on the light side ,maybe the 250gr would be better ...i shoot the .260gr DEAD CENTER ..but that is just me ,i am not very keen on heart shot,s ,i go for a complete pass through lung shot ...good blood trail and they don't go far with no lungs ..but were i hunt we have snow on the ground ,so recovering deer [wounded] is no big deal ..

200 Grn SST

I was in a loc-on thirty feet up but the deer was only about 8 ft lower than me. The deer was on top a knob and was feeding straight towards me coming from 140 yards. When he got to mid 90s he turned quartering to me. I put my left foot on rail of loc on to raise my knee for shooting rest. He heard a little noise of my old bones contorting to get in that position and lifted his head and stared. I started at the brisket on 10 power and came up 4 inches and touched the trigger. He stood up on his hind legs and then jumped straight up 10 plus feet and came down on his back feet and started running but his front feet weren't down yet so he ran about 8 or 10 yards on his back legs. The bullet hit exactly where aimed 1 1/2" in front the left front leg. The fragments of the bullet made it through the ribs on the far side about two inches behind the opposiite leg. I only hit rib cage in and out, nothing excessively hard. The deer was not a giant just a nice 160 lb Mississippi rut worn buck. The shot was very similar to a broadside shot as no major impacts but the front of rib cage is a little denser than rear half taking into consideration the extra tissue covering the ribs. The jacket peeled all the way down like a banana and the remaining pocket is way less than an eight inch closer to a sixteenth deep, the rest peeled back and two of five petals tore away and were lost inside the deer.

Latest posts

Back