200 Yard Club...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black3

Reaction score
Well I got a chance at a longer shot last week. I was watching a green strip along a cut over in the afternoon when I was two does milling around in the woods looking to get to the grass. I had lasered a point in the field at 178 yards earlier. The two does entered the green strip and started feeding and I judged they were 25-30 yards past my lasered point. My rifle is sighted in 2" high at 100 yards. I held 2" higher than normal, and squeezed off the shot.

I could tell that she was hard hit, but she ran out of the strip of grass back into the woods. I sat in the tree stand about 10 minutes while I reloaded and gathered all my stuff to get down.

I walked out to where she was standing and found plenty of blood and some lung tissue. I followed the easy blood trail about 40 yards to find her. She weighed 145 pounds on the scales later that afternoon.

The shot broke one rib going in and another rib on the way out. The entrance hole was about 3/4" and the exit hole was about 1 1/4". The lungs were mush and the heart was intact.

My nephew and I went back to the stand the next day, and he lasered me as I stood in the tracks of the doe at the POI. He took the reading three times to be sure that it was right. It read 212 yards. My longest shot till then was 147 yards. I am pleased with results and glad to crack the 200 yard barrier.

The load was 43 grains of VV N110, 250 SST, MMP HP-12 sabot (trimmed), WW, and Winchester primer. The gun is the MLBSSII with a 4200 Elite scope.

I also got another 125# doe the next evening at 50 yards with a neck shot. Now that I've done my part in keeping the does in check, it's time to concentrate on a shooter buck. I have seen several, but none so far meets the club rules.

black3

Good shot!

Field-dressed at 145 lbs has got to make her a pretty big doe for down there, right?

It sounds like the 250 SST performed well in that deer. What kind of accuracy are you getting with that load?

FWF,

The doe weighed 145 on the hoof, not field dressed. That is still a big doe for this far south. I didn't mean to mislead anyone on the weight.

I get 1"-1 1/4" groups regularly when I do my part. Not as good as some other guys, but it does the job for me in hunting situations. This combination has worked very well for me so far. This deer was the only one that has left my sight after the shot.

black3

Black3,Nice shooting.I ain't saying nothing,after my son broke out his new 45-70 buffaloo gun last week that meets Ms's muzzleloader requirements.I broke out my custom .45 cal.ML.Killed two deer with it.One at 90 yds free hand and another at 135 yds.Both went about 10 yards after pass through heart shots.

Good luck on the rest of your ML season.

:) Smokit,

Our primitive weapon laws are a mess aren't they. It seems to me that if you can shoot smokeless in a breech loading replica using a metallic cartridge, you should be able to shoot smokeless in a front stuffer! Or maybe we can. :wink:

Congratulations on your two deer! Offhand shots are tough for me. Did your son get a deer yet with the 45-70?

black3

Back